Reccomend me an interface.

• Thread starter Rogueleader
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rogueleader

Bringer Of Storms
Reaction score
What is a good interface for the following...
-Miking a guitar/bass cab
-Recording straight from the line out of my engl e530
-Recording vocals

I am planning on buying an interface and a shure sm57/58 (reccomendations on this are appreciated too) for recoding in my dorm room. I'm looking to spend under $100 (trying to keep interface/mic under $200) for a quality interface that I plug straight into my laptop for the aforementioned purposes. My apologies if there is already a thread like this, but the search function didn't seem to find any.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RawrItsRaptor

Let's Get Invisible
Reaction score
What is a good interface for the following...
-Miking a guitar/bass cab
-Recording straight from the line out of my engl e530
-Recording vocals

I am planning on buying an interface and a shure sm57/58 (reccomendations on this are appreciated too) for recoding in my dorm room. I'm looking to spend under $100 (trying to keep interface/mic under $200) for a quality interface that I plug straight into my laptop for the aforementioned purposes. My apologies if there is already a thread like this, but the search function didn't seem to find any.
Well your budget is kinda tight but, I think the M-Audio Fast Track will work. The only problem is if you were going to use it there is only one mic input and one line input.

N-j

B.T.K
Reaction score
try an alesis io-2 bit more then your buget but it is a good interface.

chimp_spanner

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I've used M-Audio for as long as I can remember now. The Fast Track isn't too bad at all if you're not worried about the limited I/O situation.

A couple of things I'd mention though: unless your laptop is really up to the job, software monitoring (i.e. hearing yourself play through the soundcard and sequencer) might be tricky. In my experience USB audio interfaces are really picky with laptops, with regards to how low they'll let you take their latency/delay.

Otherwise, like I said, it's not too bad at all. My friend had it on his desktop computer and it was certainly up to the task of real time VSTi/Reason triggering!

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread on this since this is something of a continuation of the origional question. What I'm looking to pick up is an interface that is either Firewire or USB is usable on both Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit computers and OS X (Snow Leopard) boxes (I've got both). If possible, I'd like three to four (though I could live with two) 1/4" and XLR inputs and the ability to play back what I'm recording in real time. Software-wise, I'd be using Garage Band on the Mac Box and I'm still undecided on the Windows side of the fence.

Many thanks again!

')