Reccomend me some good Anime

• Thread starter Buzz762
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
i always liked Neon Genesis Evangelion its the only anime series ive ever really sat down and watched the entire series of, the movies are awesome too i just love how fucking weird it is, it really screwed with my mind :lol:

other than that i highly recomend any of the studio gibli films, howls moving castle, spirited away and porco rosso are a couple of my fav's from them :yesway:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Films:

All Studio Ghibli films.
Akira
Ghost In The Shell
Steamboy
Metropolis
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ninja Scroll

Series:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Berserk
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Visions Of Escaflowne
Outlaw Star

There's loads more I've not seen aswell.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i always liked Neon Genesis Evangelion its the only anime series ive ever really sat down and watched the entire series of, the movies are awesome too i just love how fucking weird it is, it really screwed with my mind :lol:

:agreed:

other than that i highly recomend any of the studio gibli films, howls moving castle, spirited away and porco rosso are a couple of my fav's from them :yesway:

:agreed:

we have good taste :D

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Holy shit, Jeff must be dead or something. :lol:

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
Rurouni Kenshin. Great until the Shishio eps are over. Subs > Dubs
Perfect Blue
Grave of the Fireflies - seriously, even if you don't like anime, you might like this movie. (As Karl Hungus pointed out, Studio Ghibli = :yesway: )

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

My prior exposure to anime has been in the form of Dragon Ball (just the origional one) and a subtitled version of Love Hina which I got into after reading through a few of books of the manga series, although I never actually saw the end of the series -- I only saw maybe 20 episodes from it.

I'll check these out.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Holy shit, Jeff must be dead or something. :lol:
I never recommend anime but these guys have put up some good stuff.

Just a note that "Grave of the Fireflies" is a freaking sad film, so if you don't want to be depressed for a whole day watch it when you're like in the mood or something.

Metropolis is AWESOME just if you hate the like old-school style animation you might hate it but w/e I love it, it was freaking awesome. One of my favourites.

Like mentioned above, Guyver is fucking sick, the OVA and the new Series are both badass, you should watch both because they both kick ass.

Lemme dig up some.

.hack//sign is kind of boring-interesting, kind of it's own thing, it intrigued me, I guess that's why I liked it. :shrug:
Escaflowne is pretty good, I watched it aeons ago so I don't remember it.
Tenchi Muyo: one of the ultimate harem-type animes, I love it...some people don't, you might like it.
Macross Zero
Cowboy Bebop

that's all you get.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Cut and Paste from the last thread:

Mech-type stuff:
Patlabor
Brain Powered
Escaflowne
SDFMacross/Marcoss Plus/Macross Zero

Comedy:
Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku
Kimagure Orange Road
Oh My Goddess!
El Hazard
Tenchi Muyo
Lost Universe

Fantasy/RPG:
The Record Of Lodoss Wars(the OAV rivals classical fanstay writing, IMO)
The Slayers(silly, but fun as hell)
Magic Knights Rayearth(TV is girly, OAV is a bit darker)

Futuristic, Scifi, Cyber-punk, etc:
Armitage III
BubbleGum Crisis(I prefer the original "2032" to the 2040 remake)
Appleseed
Cowboy Bebop
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Gunbuster

Other:
Noir
Saber Marrionette J

I'm not a Neon Genesis fan, I don't like the way Anno ends his shows(Gunbuster's the only one I like the end of, Nadia he left before the ending and that helped that show), and there are better mech anime out there, IMO. NGE is just a hype machine to me, with the characters appearing on girl's clothes in RAVE at the mall at one time, and ADV pushing it like it's the only anime out there. There's a parody of it out there, "Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure", where the guy who did Tenchi Muyo pokes fun at NGE(and mech anime in general). That series is great.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I could go on forever and ever recommending stuff, so I'll just recommend what comes to mind:

Cowboy Bebop (animation series)
Ninja Scroll (movie)
Iria: Zeiram the Animation (OVA)
Ranma 1/2 (animation series)
Akira (movie)
Samurai Champloo (animation series)

And I'll just stop here before I end up recommending too much, but those are a few of the main ones I've always really liked.

Ciprian

Reaction score
Ghost in the Shell (especially the first movie)
Excel Saga
Honey & Clover
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu
Monster
Mushishi
Ouran Host Club
Paranoia Agent
Puni Puni Poemy
SunaBouzu
Mind Game
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (you can skip the main series - "Full Metal Panic")
Fate/Stay Night
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Elfen Lied
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (<- Excellent drama)
Interlude
Genshiken
Beyond the Clouds
Fooly Cooly (<- Really good comedy)
Pale Cocoon
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

etc.

P.S. A helpful tool to aid you in your quest to find good anime :D: http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
oh god Poemi :lol:, dunno how you'd call Furi Kuri a comedy but whatever :lol:...those 2 along with Dokuro-chan are just plain retarded/silly for yer infozz....

Ciprian

Reaction score
Well, most of the time, the randomness of Fooly Cooly is funny :D and it does actually have a plot, contrary to what some people say. It's true that FLCL, Poemi and Dokuro-chan are insane, but that's one of the main things that makes them funny & interesting. We just like different things in animes, no need to bash my opinion.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
lol I wasn't bashing, I like those, you just put them in the wrong categories :lol:

vlcsnap-1957037.png

Ciprian

Reaction score
lol I wasn't bashing, I like those, you just put them in the wrong categories :lol:

Okay then :D.

P.S. The categories in which FLCL fits (according to anidb) are:
Action, Comedy, Dementia, Mecha, Parody. It's a pretty diverse anime so I agree that you can't assign it to a single category, but I was trying to help the dude that made the thread by saying that it's funny :).

goth_fiend

Reaction score
FLCL
Hellsing
Berserk (must own, plain and simple)
Gundam: char's counterattack

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Excel Saga

:lol: I love Excel Saga, but I think that only people really familiar with video games and japanimation will be able to appreciate what it's making fun of (and to truly fully appreciate it, you also have to be somewhat familiar with Japanese non-animation movies and TV shows, along with some cultural things you cannot understand without living in the country -- which is quite different from a fantasy or sci-fi series).

Ciprian

Reaction score
:lol: I love Excel Saga, but I think that only people really familiar with video games and japanimation will be able to appreciate what it's making fun of (and to truly fully appreciate it, you also have to be somewhat familiar with Japanese non-animation movies and TV shows, along with some cultural things you cannot understand without living in the country -- which is quite different from a fantasy or sci-fi series).

True, stuff like Excel Saga, Genshiken, PaniPoni Dash! etc. have plenty of obscure references that make no sense to a person that isn't used to a specific "environment". I'm certainly not claiming that I understand all of the inside jokes. Although lately, fansubs have been explaining a lot of references (sometimes they even write small PDF's with explanations), which is a very good thing.

')