Recent Experience at my local music shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDjentlman

User name = Regret
Reaction score
A couple days ago I went to go pick up my new RG7321 from my local shop. It was there to be set-up for Drop G#. This is the conversation I had with the shop owner(not even the dude who set-ups guitar/re-strings etc.)

Owner:Can I ask you a question?
Me: Sure...
Owner: Have you ever played in standard tuning?
Me:Yeah....three years ago(laughing)
Owner: How old are you?
Me: 17 why?
Owner: Give it about two years, you'll be back at it.
Guitar tech: Hey man just thought I'd tell you I gave you a custom set a .62 low b with a .10 6-string set.
Owner: My god that's almost the 3rd string on a bass!
Me: Well, a Low B is going to be thick regardless.
Owner: Maybe they should just make guitars with just the lowest three strings seeing as those are the only strings kids use anymore.

So I just paid for my guitar and walked out. This dude irritated me and he will most likely never have my business again. I make it a point to utilize all seven strings on my guitar. I don't know about you guys but I think people are discriminating against Seven and Eight string guitarists. If only they could understand that there's so many more options on a 7 string. But anyways, I thought I'd share this interesting encounter with you guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
A couple days ago I went to go pick up my new RG7321 from my local shop. It was there to be set-up for Drop G#. This is the conversation I had with the shop owner(not even the dude who set-ups guitar/re-strings etc.)

Owner:Can I ask you a question?
Me: Sure...
Owner: Have you ever played in standard tuning?
Me:Yeah....three years ago(laughing)
Owner: How old are you?
Me: 17 why?
Owner: Give it about two years, you'll be back at it.
Guitar tech: Hey man just thought I'd tell you I gave you a custom set a .62 low b with a .10 6-string set.
Owner: My god that's almost the 3rd string on a bass!
Me: Well, a Low B is going to be thick regardless.
Owner: Maybe they should just make guitars with just the lowest three strings seeing as those are the only strings kids use anymore.

So I just paid for my guitar and walked out. This dude irritated me and he will most likely never have my business again. I make it a point to utilize all seven strings on my guitar. I don't know about you guys but I think people are discriminating against Seven and Eight string guitarists. If only they could understand that there's so many more options on a 7 string. But anyways, I thought I'd share this interesting encounter with you guys.
Show him some Animals As Leaders or Nevermore and tell him to STFU.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
He's just old fashioned. It isn't that big of a deal, don't get all offended because he's got the mindset held by countless other guitarists.

TheDjentlman

User name = Regret
Reaction score
He's just old fashioned. It isn't that big of a deal, don't get all offended because he's got the mindset held by countless other guitarists.
I'm not technically offended. I just think people should be more open to how I play. I mean I don't criticize him for playing chords and selling mainly only acoustic guitars. I respect other player's styles. You wanna play Hendrix? Go ahead! Shit I might even take a seat and see if I can learn a few things.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Yeah, likely that, but I'm also guessing a little bitterness/jealousy. Sounds like the guys who scoff at shredding and fast note runs, saying they prefer soulful blues. I have yet to hear one of those guys actually be able to play soulful blues. They rationalize their inability to play well as favoring slower styles, but there's more to talent than slow playing as well. And this guy may kind of feel like you have more knowledge and talent than you "deserve" at your age. And you know what they say: people who hate something are one step away from doing it. $10 says the guy read up on alternate tunings that night, and will own a 7 string within the year. :lol:

TheDjentlman

User name = Regret
Reaction score
+1:hbang:

Douches like that are what perpetuates misconceptions like that.

Show him some Animals As Leaders or Nevermore and tell him to STFU.

Yeah, likely that, but I'm also guessing a little bitterness/jealousy. Sounds like the guys who scoff at shredding and fast note runs, saying they prefer soulful blues. I have yet to hear one of those guys actually be able to play soulful blues. They rationalize their inability to play well as favoring slower styles, but there's more to talent than slow playing as well. And this guy may kind of feel like you have more knowledge and talent than you "deserve" at your age. And you know what they say: people who hate something are one step away from doing it. $10 says the guy read up on alternate tunings that night, and will own a 7 string within the year. :lol:
Hahahaha For sure dude. I noticed that a lot of slower players do tend to hate on more modern styles. And also he did mention everyone at his shop learned a lot from working on my guitar haha

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score

^^^ This. So much this :lol: His jaw would hit the floor after hearing 10 seconds of an AAL song. Then you tell him to stop being an utter douche.

I have a friend who firmly believes that 7 strings belong only in Metalcore. Mannn what an idiot. I love hearing other peoples opinions on stuff, but its not even worth listening to what he's got to say. :rolleyes:

Hes essentially saying that B standard and lower should only be in Metalcore :rofl:

TheDjentlman

User name = Regret
Reaction score
^^^ This. So much this :lol: His jaw would hit the floor after hearing 10 seconds of an AAL song. Then you tell him to stop being an utter douche.

I have a friend who firmly believes that 7 strings belong only in Metalcore. Mannn what an idiot. I love hearing other peoples opinions on stuff, but its not even worth listening to what he's got to say. :rolleyes:

Hes essentially saying that B standard and lower should only be in Metalcore :rofl:
lololol People have to understand even if you're not down-tuning there is still so many more abilities on a 7-string.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Yeah I think so I know that some jazz guitarists still play them. I almost bought a hollow body seven actually.
I WANT a hollow body seven. Just "want" is supposed to be capitalized, but it loses the effect when it's the second word in the sentence and the first word is "I".

:)

EDIT: And I don't think he was hating on 7/8 stringers so much as showing that he's a silly old guy and isn't used to using strings that thick/tuning down. It reads more like he thinks kids these days just love low tunings for the chugga wugga, maybe you should play in there sometime and prove him wrong? :D

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
Weren't 7 strings originally used for jazz?

The 7th string was added so guitarists could finger bass notes in chords with their thumb or something like that (what I've heard, anyway).

Anyway, I think at some point people have forgotten that, regardless of the number of strings, a guitar is just a fucking guitar. Adding a string doesn't make it any more or less a musical instrument. The only difference is that adding those strings gives players the means to play the music they want, how they want.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Weren't 7 strings originally used for jazz?

Not sure about that, but classical guitars have had 8,9,10 strings way longer than electrics, and ain't too much chugga chugga in classical music!

I'll also admit that when I first heard of tuning down to B (and 7 string guitars) I thought it was stupid, and just sort of a fad. But once I heard some decent music and picked up a 7 string it was a total eye opener, and was the single biggest inspiration to play that I've ever had. It definitely pays to have an open mind.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Just a few comments:

Here on SS.org, I've been chastised more than once for holding the view that downtuned guitars were more than just chugging djent machines. For all that people talk about ERGs being capable of other music, I truly believe that I'm in the minority here on SS.org in not using my 8-strings for metal. So, how am I supposed to feel about all those here who assume that ERGs are all used for that purpose? I think it was summed up best earlier in the thread...

Well, okay... but if those douches are in the majority here at SS.org, is it really a misconception?

Again, it's not like that sentiment hasn't been voiced more than once here on SS.org, the bastion of the ERG.

Now... if I can interact with so many of you, and yet recognize that many of you have certain expectations of ERGs, is it really so surprising that someone else might also have the idea that the majority of ERG players in the real world have the same ideas as the majority here on SS.org? Maybe that's why "he thinks kids these days just love low tunings for the chugga wugga." Is such a person a douchebag? Am *I* a douchebag? I am not, I assure you... or, at least not for recognizing my minority status here. *laugh*

I even have that question in my signature specific to ERGs because of the scarcity of people walking the talk about how versatile ERGs can be.

Anyway, if one of the stickies in this very area is titled, "Post your most 'Metal' pic of yourself and your 7!!!," one can scarcely complain about others having the same ideas as yourselves, can one? *laugh*

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
People who think this way, have not been educated otherwise.
They have not watched an amazing ERG player.
They form a narrow opinion based on the little experience they have and force it on others in a not so respectfull fashion.

:noway::squint:

Never have a strong opinion without being fully educated on the topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I think all of these attitudes are being blown way out of proportion to how much they actually effect all of us. I include Explorer's post too I guess

In some ways I can understand it as playing guitar is how we express ourselves and someone digging on that can piss people off. At least for me playing guitar is like an extension of my voice and means a lot to me as a mode of expression. But it is also best to remember that people say dumb things and not everyone is going to like what you have to say. I play metal but I love all types of music and at one time I had a similar attitude as the store owner about 7's. But at some point I realized a guitar is a guitar and getting pissed about how people view my guitar playing is a giant waste of time. Even if all I played was chuggah chuggah on the lower strings I wouldn't care because it is what I want to play and that is all that matters to me. I guess what I am saying is playing guitar as competition or a test of manhood doesn't interest me and playing guitar to express myself is all that matters to me. I know others see it differently but it seems pointless. The guy at the store is wrong but getting defensive about it is wrong too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')