Recessed TOM bridge

• Thread starter karnivorus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

karnivorus

Reaction score
I originally installed a hipshot bridge but I didn't really like the feel and adjusting every saddle individually was a pain in the butt.

Replaced it with a Gotoh ge103 but the neck doesn't have an angle so I had to dig a new cavity and drill new hole to accommodate the new bridge. So far I prefer the Gotoh in feel and tone. Much easier to setup and intonate as well!

Pics of the result

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
I never understood the hype about especially Hipshot hardtail bridge and find (recessed) TOM the most comfy for me as well.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Wow, great work. It looks awesome, as if the guitar came like that.

And yeah, TOM bridges are by far my favourite.

Bobo

Reaction score
I prefer the Hipshot style bridges for more meat to rest your hand on, especially if you're a heavy palm muter.

A TOM that sits high is awkward. But I've also recessed one and shaved the neck heel to give no neck angle. That guitar is much more comfortable now, but I still feel I'd like to have more mass under my hand. I know there are a few wider TOM style bridges, I need to look into those.

The tone perspective is interesting...now I've got half a mind to get a wider TOM style bridge, make a cavity and replace the Hipshot. Guitar is gonna get refinished anyway. Hooray for tinkering :banana::banana:

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I prefer the Hipshot style bridges for more meat to rest your hand on, especially if you're a heavy palm muter.

A TOM that sits high is awkward. But I've also recessed one and shaved the neck heel to give no neck angle. That guitar is much more comfortable now, but I still feel I'd like to have more mass under my hand. I know there are a few wider TOM style bridges, I need to look into those.

The tone perspective is interesting...now I've got half a mind to get a wider TOM style bridge, make a cavity and replace the Hipshot. Guitar is gonna get refinished anyway. Hooray for tinkering :banana::banana:

TOM bridge definitely has a chunkier low end sound to my ears

Josh Middleton talks about it in this video

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Cool Vid! I built a TOM bridge on my last buddy build for a few specific reasons. Mainly he was adamant about the higher angle of bridge lending to much better right hand form, as well as the tonal characteristics (we used a Gotoh TOM bridge). He is also a fantastic player so I trusted his judgement and was quite impressed with the guitar once completed. I've always been a Hipshot bridge guy for the extra adjust ability since I've had bad experiences with high end TOM guitars (ESP E2) not able to intonate properly for drop tunings. That is where Hipshot is much easier for an installation or re-installation process. With the TOM, it's measure thrice, get it right once.

Edika

Reaction score
I think KxK was doing builds with recessed TOM's and they looked great. I wasn't a fan of the bridge and have always found the Floyds more comfortable but I have and had a few guitars with TOM bridges that acoustically sounded a lot livelier.

Great job on the guitar, it looks really well done. A pic of the whole instrument would be highly appreciated :D.

karnivorus

Reaction score
Muy hot. Looks like it came stock. Progress pics!
Sorry I didn't take progress pics for this mod. I only have this one with the original bridge.

Great job on the guitar, it looks really well done. A pic of the whole instrument would be highly appreciated :D.
Thanks man!

Tried to get the metallic paint in this one

Last edited:

Edika

Reaction score
It looks awesome man, sleek and really well executed! Is it a baritone or the one pickup is playing tricks with my eyes? Regardless I'm amazed with so many talented people here making such great instruments!

electriceye

Reaction score
Great job! What did you use to make the recess? I have a Potvin template, but haven’t used it just yet. Your route looks very clean.

Also, did YOU do the paint?? Love it!

karnivorus

Reaction score
Is it a baritone or the one pickup is playing tricks with my eyes?
Actually its a 25'' scale, not a big fan of baritones.
Great job! What did you use to make the recess? I have a Potvin template, but haven’t used it just yet. Your route looks very clean.

Also, did YOU do the paint?? Love it!
Thanks! Usually I make my own templates using MDF. I trace around the hardware to give me exact dimentions and then drill and cutout my template. After the routing is done I beveled the edge all around with sandpaper.

Yes I did the paint myself , finishing is my favorite part of building! Its actually an obsession of mine.

')