Recomendations? 24 frets, HH, trem, no locking nut

• Thread starter AirForbes1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Oh, and it has to be fairly inexpensive, maybe under $1000. Less is better. New or used doesn't matter, but second-hand will obviously be cheaper.

Pickups aren't that big of a deal. If I like them, great, if they have to go, fine.

Things I've already considered:

PRS SE - I'd prefer 25.5 scale, a flatter fretboard, and larger frets. But, it's not a terrible option if nothing else works. The wide-thin neck is about as big as I'd like to go.

SBMM JP - Not many of these around where I am, so I can't really check one out. I know people say that it feels nothing like an EBMM, but that's okay, it's to be expected at this price. If it feels okay or as good as a PRS SE, that's fine. This probably feels like the best solution.

Warmoth - Stretches how much I'd like to pay. If I go with one of the bodies that are "in stock" and make the neck that I want, it's not too bad. Would allow me to get what I want, and put some pretty good hardware on it. Also not paying for pickups that I won't want.

Ibanez AZ - I just tried one the other day. The neck was nice, though a little rounder than I was expecting. Feels good. Unfortunately, they are not cheap, and there's isn't a big used market on them yet. I'm not crazy about the vintage bent saddles, but that's an easy swap out.

This isn't going to be my "main" guitar, hence why I don't want to spend too much on it. It's more to fill a hole in what I've got.

I get on with most necks. PRS wide-thin, Ibanez Prestige Wizard, ESP Thin U. Just no baseball bats.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I could look at? Obviously the feel is personal, and at this price range the quality of an individual guitar can be hit and miss. But, I can't think of any other options, so I thought I'd ask.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Used charvel superstrat?

Any particular model? Not that familiar with Charvel's past offerings, just what I can see on their site now which is are all FR, or the USA Select DK24 which is way out of my price range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

AirForbes1

Reaction score
I think they come with trems too no?

Only of the Floyd variety. It seems that most 24 fret HH guitars with a trem, have a Floyd (or Edge). The only other thing that I've seen besides what I included in the OP is a Jackson, but it's too cheap. I think it's going to have to be a SBMM JP

AirForbes1

Reaction score
If you're in Toronto I would take a look around on the GTA Kijiji section for a nice used guitar that fits the specs you want.

One option you could consider (slightly above budget) is this, although its HSH, if the S bothers you just lower it super low so its out of the way:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/117921...Pro-Mod-DK24-HSH-2PT-CM---Matte-Army-Drab.htm

Shit. I hadn't seen that one. I'd prefer a HH, but with the limitations I've got, I have to be somewhat flexible. Thanks. That's not bad spec wise.

I'll look in to some other HSH models. I've only got 1 direct mount guitar and there's no play with the pickups, so I didn't really consider an HSH.

I'll look in to some HSH models. Worst case scenario, just pull the middle pickup out, I suppose.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
There's an unloaded JP6 for $1200 or best offer up on Reverb. Talk to the guy, make a deal, and never look back. It'll absolutely destroy all the other stuff you're looking at.

That's actually pretty good. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly in the position now to get something. Soon, hopefully. I know what I want though, and I made this post because it felt like there had to be more options out there from what I've found. Now that I know that there are occasionally EBMM JP6 that come up around $1000 USD, it's on my list (and Reverb feed). I had always assumed they were in the 2K range.

Thanks very much.

Musiscience

Reaction score
It's actually quite a stretch. By the time I pay for shipping and customs/duty, it adds quite a bit. However, it's not a definite no. I'll keep an eye out locally.

You can find cheap JP6s on Kijiji for around 1200$ CAD from time to time. Just keep looking every day.

mogar

Reaction score
Can also keep an eye out for a used Ibanez MSM1, the older Marco Sfogli model. Went for about $1200 new, so not a big stretch to find one under $1k used.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
You can find cheap JP6s on Kijiji for around 1200$ CAD from time to time. Just keep looking every day.

Cheers. I'll set up an alert

Can also keep an eye out for a used Ibanez MSM1, the older Marco Sfogli model. Went for about $1200 new, so not a big stretch to find one under $1k used.

I saw that one too. I might have a hard time finding one locally. But, I'll check Reverb. Thanks, I didn't know how much they went for new.