Recomendations? 24 frets, HH, trem, no locking nut

• Thread starter AirForbes1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I agree with the Charvel DK24 2PT. Fantastic feeling. Only downfall is that middle pickup.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Well. I'm glad I asked. I didn't realize that a EBMM JP6 could be had for $1000 ish (USD), and I had discounted that Charvel DK24 because of the middle pickup. Which, considering my limitations, is an acceptable compromise.

It does show though, that there aren't a ton of options. If I wanted a double locking trem, there would be no shortage of guitars and manufacturers to pick from.

Thanks for your help.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
So. I got a Sterling JP60. I didn't want to spend too much because I wanted to play around with it a bit and install a tremol-no, or if that didn't/doesn't work, maybe this:

http://www.lonephantom.com/2012/02/the-4-tremolo-stopper/

(for full floating and drop tuned, but don't want to add that to an expensive guitar in case I didn't like it)

It was local, $500 (CAD), that's about $375 to you US guys. It was in decent shape, some of the usual pick swirling, but nothing else. The pickups had also been upgraded to a Crunch Lab/Liquifier set.

The tremol-no does what it's supposed to, IMO. I didn't like the way I originally installed it, but did it again, and it feels like it's not there. The dive only setting is okay, but it doesn't flutter. For a basement guy like me, it's fine. If I were playing live, no way, too finicky.

I have to say, I'm not that crazy about the Crunch Lab. It feels a bit too dry. My sloppy playing doesn't help either.

I really like the feel of the Sterling, I like the neck shape and the finish on the neck. I'll definitely be on the look out for an affordable JP6.

Thanks again for your input.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
So. I got a Sterling JP60. I didn't want to spend too much because I wanted to play around with it a bit and install a tremol-no, or if that didn't/doesn't work, maybe this:

http://www.lonephantom.com/2012/02/the-4-tremolo-stopper/

(for full floating and drop tuned, but don't want to add that to an expensive guitar in case I didn't like it)

It was local, $500 (CAD), that's about $375 to you US guys. It was in decent shape, some of the usual pick swirling, but nothing else. The pickups had also been upgraded to a Crunch Lab/Liquifier set.

The tremol-no does what it's supposed to, IMO. I didn't like the way I originally installed it, but did it again, and it feels like it's not there. The dive only setting is okay, but it doesn't flutter. For a basement guy like me, it's fine. If I were playing live, no way, too finicky.

I have to say, I'm not that crazy about the Crunch Lab. It feels a bit too dry. My sloppy playing doesn't help either.

I really like the feel of the Sterling, I like the neck shape and the finish on the neck. I'll definitely be on the look out for an affordable JP6.

Thanks again for your input.

pics or it didn't happen

AirForbes1

Reaction score
pics or it didn't happen

Ha. I didn't post it because it seems out of place with all of the Mayones', PRS, what-have-you around here. It's just a SBMM. But, here you go:

I didn't realize how bad the fingerprints were, but oh well.

Edit: (Man, that's a terrible photo. Sorry).

LVOQ4dW.jpg

OeW0eew.jpg

The Tremol-no is pretty good. I was apprehensive after reading some experiences, but it dos what it's supposed to for me. Can't feel it at all, in free floating or locked. The dive only mode won't allow flutters, so I don't know how aggressive you can get with it like that. I would 100% not recommend one to anyone playing live who wants to change tuning. The little screws in the back are small, and there's not a ton of room between "loose" and "rolling on the floor". Also, when you tighten them up, you move the trem a touch. Not a lot to affect feel, but enough to affect tuning. So, locking it and going to drop D isn't as simple as just changing the tuning on one string.

As I've said, I'm not crazy about the Crunch Lab, so we'll see what happens there. Probably put a set of Black Winters in it because I love them.

mystix

Reaction score
Ha. I didn't post it because it seems out of place with all of the Mayones', PRS, what-have-you around here. It's just a SBMM. But, here you go:

I didn't realize how bad the fingerprints were, but oh well.

Edit: (Man, that's a terrible photo. Sorry).

LVOQ4dW.jpg

OeW0eew.jpg

The Tremol-no is pretty good. I was apprehensive after reading some experiences, but it dos what it's supposed to for me. Can't feel it at all, in free floating or locked. The dive only mode won't allow flutters, so I don't know how aggressive you can get with it like that. I would 100% not recommend one to anyone playing live who wants to change tuning. The little screws in the back are small, and there's not a ton of room between "loose" and "rolling on the floor". Also, when you tighten them up, you move the trem a touch. Not a lot to affect feel, but enough to affect tuning. So, locking it and going to drop D isn't as simple as just changing the tuning on one string.

As I've said, I'm not crazy about the Crunch Lab, so we'll see what happens there. Probably put a set of Black Winters in it because I love them.

Those are fantastic guitars for the cash. Enjoy and congrats!

Avedas

Reaction score
I've played my buddy's Sterling JP6 a bunch. He leaves the trem blocked and it's a really solid guitar for the money if you get a good condition one used.