Recommend a good Bass guitar.

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
I need help. I am a guitar player. Looking for a bass guitar for my recordings. I have been using midi bass like ez bass, djinn bass and modo bass. Please recommend me a good solid bass. I play prog metal. I prefer something with a maple fingerboard and maybe alder or mahogany body...budget is 300-400$.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
In that price range, I think probably an Ibanez SR300 or SR305 is your best bet if you want it to be new.

Used, it really depends on your location. There should be a pretty good used market in New York.

Obed1224

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got a 4 string musicman stingray sub 4 and I really enjoy it. I tried the Darkglass plugin from neural dsp and thats pretty much good to go. The bass is 329 I think but the seller offered it to me afor270 so I just went for it. The bass is well made and probably wont need any upgrades except for the nut, which I always swap out for graphtech stuff.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
If you're not above buying secondhand or B-stock, I can suggest an Ibanez SR series (discontinued) or a basic Warwick Rockbass. The former from my recollection is chunky with a mahogany body, and my old basic Corvette 5 had an alder body.
If maple is a must, then the only other ones that I can think of that I was ok with would be EBMM Sterling or an LTD Surveyor that sometimes pops up at that price.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Discontinued? But SR is their main bass line, you're confusing something.

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/model/sr/

*SRX, it was a typo and I'm unable to revise said typo.
C04120649U_03__34457.1434058369.jpg

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I’ve seen Peavey USA Foundation 5 strings with maple fretboards for less than $300 used. Great basses at that price point. Nothing fancy about them but they’re solidly built and the stock pickups sound pretty good.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Oh, the Spector Performer 4 is a solid choice for $399. Not a maple fretboard, but it's a good bass. I have the 5 string version.

https://www.spectorbass.com/product/performer-4/

It is of course an entry level import for Spector, but that's what you're going to be looking at in this price range, unless you get a killer deal on a used bass.

PERF4-MR.jpg

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The great thing about being a guitar player buying a bass is that you'll find it's really easy to get by with something cheap (both because it's easier to build a decent bass and because you'll be less picky if it's a secondary instrument). An Ibanez SR or Squier (vintage modified or classic vibe series) will be a solid bass and are abundant in the used market. You'll have no problem getting something decent in your price range.

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's a few out there with P-J combination pickups, from Fender MIMs tho hard to find, Ibanez, Yamaha. Warwick rockbasses are good too, they're kidn of like PRS SE guitars in my mind.

Basses take time to try out, to fit the neck shape, neck heaviness, string spacing etc to your style of playing, as well as pairing with decent amp, I would just go to any shops and try as many as you can.

Django_90pl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would perhaps recommend a J bass configuration from Sire, they are quite affordable for quality they provide. You can snatch a 5 string easily

')