Recommend an overdrive pedal

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Price wise is it more than an mxr micro amp plus?
I've not used an MXR Micro Amp +. I want them to release a pedal with the EQ controls, a toggle switch, level, and gain/drive knobs for Distortion +/Micro Amp +/DOD 250.

It is pretty useful, regardless. If you don't need the EQ, just turn it off and use the boost. The boost doesn't start at unity gain; it mutes at zero and about 10:00 begins to boost the signal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've not used an MXR Micro Amp +. I want them to release a pedal with the EQ controls, a toggle switch, level, and gain/drive knobs for Distortion +/Micro Amp +/DOD 250.

It is pretty useful, regardless. If you don't need the EQ, just turn it off and use the boost. The boost doesn't start at unity gain; it mutes at zero and about 10:00 begins to boost the signal.
I had to rent the micro+ on tour when my reg micro had an issue, and i was like “oh, this is nice” haha.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I had to rent the micro+ on tour when my reg micro had an issue, and i was like “oh, this is nice” haha.
I saw a demo of the Micro Amp + boosting a Marshall (maybe a 4 hole of some sort) and it sounded awesome.

Shask

Reaction score

I could build a basic Micro Amp for like $10, lol. Super simple.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
In all seriousness, it depends what Wiltonauer is looking for. A simple clean boost into the input for more gain is going to affect things differently than someone like a 10 band EQ, Rat, Klone, Bluesbreaker, Guvnor, etc might. If they are looking for tighter lows, more mids, more saturation, or something else, the suggestion will change dramatically.

Lol, I definitely tl;dr'd this thread and just responded to the op (oops). As far as boosting an SLO, ive never played one so I have no idea haha. I know early Rectos and i believe the 5150 were based on it to some extent, so I'd probably recommend a great tube screamer like an 808 or st9 pro+. There are lots of ts pedals out and around. The eqd plumes is a real good affordable one as well.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, I recommend an overdrive pedal.

The Seymour Duncan 805 is great, smooth and tubey with a 3-band active EQ. Also, it can run 9-18 volts. The Peper's Dirty Tree is awesome since it is like a Fortin 33 clone with a switch to activate the bass and treble controls in a TC Integrated Preamp style. Those two are on my Mesa Mark 525 and Triaxis pedalboards, respectively.

As much negativity as Pro Tone Pedals gets, the Cor mid boost (the older 2-knob one) was pretty useful for adding gain and girth. I rather like the Dead Horse overdrives too. They are gritty, and not the quietest circuit, but they definitely hit the Tubescreamer with a bit of a frequency shift for seven strings vibe. I use the Cor in conjunction with my Dirty Tree on the Triaxis and use the Dead Horse overdrive on my old Crate combo from time to time.

The Horizon Devices Precision drive is nice. It's aggressive, has selectable bass cut, and a built-in noise gate. I tend to use this one less than the others listed above though. It lives on my backup pedalboard.

I also have some old DOD pedals (FX70 Metal X, FX70C Corrosion), a Revv G3, and the Hotone Djent pedal, all of which can be stacked with other drives. A DOD Grunge circuit with the drive real low can give a very molten, but very nineties sound to anything.

The Revv G3 can be an awesome booster pedal too! Give it a try! 😉

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Airis Effects used to be popular, especially the Savage Drive. I still have one.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The G3 and G4 have a shit ton of gain. Neither would make a good boost pedal.
I know, just try it in front of an amp's high gain channel with the G3 gain->0 & volume -> 3o'clock ... (It's not a clean booster by no means, even with its gain at 0, adds its gain character to your amps' tone, making it even more "aggressive")

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Erm no...not at three times the price of the Soul Food...
I meant the "accurate Klone" part ;)

The Decibelics even uses the exact same components, NOS stuff, etc. For the price, there's nothing that can get you as close to a real Klon.

The Soul Food is cool, but its nowhere near as close.

Marked Man

Reaction score
My heavy tone comes from the Quad Mark III Lead channel, utterly naked + volume.

But when I want something different, I'll use the MkIIC (not +!) Lead channel with the gain backed down and pump it up with a red/last gen Fender YJM 308 (especially for Strats) or Marshall Shredmaster BYOC. I have seen some ads with absolutely STOOPID asking prices for the YJMs lately (likewise for original Shredmasters). I am not the kind to pay irrational prices for pedals---I buy the amps that already have everything I need, so OD pedals are merely icing on the cake. It's not as if I am no longer me without some expensive pedal in front.

In my JCM 800 days, it was the classic MXR 10-band with gain boost. Unlike Marks, the 800 actually needed the boost to work the way I wanted.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I meant the "accurate Klone" part ;)

The Decibelics even uses the exact same components, NOS stuff, etc. For the price, there's nothing that can get you as close to a real Klon.

The Soul Food is cool, but its nowhere near as close.
Yeah, right. But who cares? 😂

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, right. But who cares? 😂
Since it sounds and feels quite a lot better to me (and I don't mind spending more on shit I use), I do.

If you can't tell any difference and are happy with the less expensive pedal, better for you! :yesway:

Last edited:

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a Randall Facepunch recently and holy hell is it a good pedal. I can’t believe more people aren’t using it for a boost. Makes my MT15 plenty tight and chugs sound perfect. Plus the tone - holy moly the tone is so damn good.

the MT15 needed a boost?

')