Recommend an overdrive pedal

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slim231990

Areola51
Reaction score
Here's a fun contender....... Summer School Electronics Science Fair. I've been playing around with it for a few weeks now and the tube screamer sounds just as good if not better than most tube screamers I've played. The fact that you can have a RAT and a TS in one pedal and blend them is pretty cool. The TS brings the treble to the RAT, and the RAT brings the bass to the TS. This thing can go from Sabbath tones to modern metal tones! :2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devastone

Reaction score
Boss SD-1, the asymmetrical clipping does a cool "thing" IMHO. Euge likes them too.

My favorite is a Rat with the dirt set low, again, it does a cool thing, but might be too much with an Uber. I want to try the Proco Solo too.

The new Keeley 2-in-1 drives look cool too, one is both of those in one box with variations.

Necky379

Reaction score
How's the MXR wylde OD?

I came to suggest the GT-OD, it also has an internal switch to make it a ZW OD. I never use that function, it’s perfect in GT mode.

It’s great for amps that don’t need a boost but when you still want that boosted sound. For example I don’t think there’s anything better for a 5150 red channel. OP you said you like the Maxon 808 because it’s just enough with being too much. I have an 808, it’s fantastic, it is a little more dramatic than the GT though. I’ve tried to replace the thing many times with more expensive and hyped pedals, nothing can take that #1 spot for me. There’s boosts I prefer over it with certain amps sure but I could sell all of them as long as I had a GT-OD. They’re cheap enough used, not really much of a financial risk if you don’t like it but I’m pretty confident you’ll find it perfect too.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Precision Drive… although for the life of me, I can’t understand boosting dat amp —- do you just have a super light touch? Using low output pickups?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Boss SD-1, the asymmetrical clipping does a cool "thing" IMHO. Euge likes them too.

My favorite is a Rat with the dirt set low, again, it does a cool thing, but might be too much with an Uber. I want to try the Proco Solo too.

The new Keeley 2-in-1 drives look cool too, one is both of those in one box with variations.
🐀🐀🐀

owlexifry

Reaction score
I came to suggest the GT-OD, it also has an internal switch to make it a ZW OD. I never use that function, it’s perfect in GT mode.

It’s great for amps that don’t need a boost but when you still want that boosted sound. For example I don’t think there’s anything better for a 5150 red channel. OP you said you like the Maxon 808 because it’s just enough with being too much. I have an 808, it’s fantastic, it is a little more dramatic than the GT though. I’ve tried to replace the thing many times with more expensive and hyped pedals, nothing can take that #1 spot for me. There’s boosts I prefer over it with certain amps sure but I could sell all of them as long as I had a GT-OD. They’re cheap enough used, not really much of a financial risk if you don’t like it but I’m pretty confident you’ll find it perfect too.
heck yeah.
GT-OD is rad.
it's like an SD-1, but doesn't cut too much low end.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more Gunk!

gonk.JPG

Shask

Reaction score
💯

this is my favourite overdrive circuit ever.
it works so well with almost anything.
it will make a tweed amp chug.
there’s a great write-up about the circuit here:
I didn't realize this was a clone of the Maxon st9pro+. However, looking at it, this is VERY close to my VFE Ice Scream clone, so I probably wouldn't gain much by building it. I love that Ice Scream clone though.

owlexifry

Reaction score
I didn't realize this was a clone of the Maxon st9pro+. However, looking at it, this is VERY close to my VFE Ice Scream clone, so I probably wouldn't gain much by building it. I love that Ice Scream clone though.
it's moreso that the ST9pro+ is a reissue of the previous associated products that were released in the 80s -> Maxon/Ibanez ST-9, and Maxon ST-01 (ST-01 and ST-9 are identical). the Ibanez STL is very close, except that the mid control stage is after the clipping stage, whereas in the ST-9/ST-01/ST9pro+ - the mid control is before the clipping stage.

the main difference between the original ST-9 and the 'reissue' ST-9pro+ - is the addition of that low boost mode toggle, and a switchable internal chargepump that allows the option of running at 18V
(but tbh this 18V option kinda sucks, because the chargepump chip requires something like 1400ma power supply to run this mode, due to a massive current load spike at start-up, and it doesn't really sound much better for what i need- 9V is just fine)

- the VFE ice-cream is absolutely inspired by/taking notes from the original ST-9 circuit (yep, it's basically an ST-9 clone with mods)

Last edited:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
TL;DR that is a great idea getting the Prince.

I can't say the KOT is my favorite ever but I do love the pedal. For me a boost is dependent on everything else. I'm the guy that thinks everything plays a factor, I would even go as far as saying your guitar pick makes a difference.

All I had here with the Ultra was the KOT and SD1. Definitely the KOT over the SD1 here but I had a KOT several years ago with a different amp and while the results were splitting hairs, I did prefer a different and much cheaper boost for metal and for my setup.

The thing with the KOT is I just cant justify keeping it for the cost when I can find something slightly better for 1/3 of the cost.
Also, since your username is Jacksonluvr, you could look at the Jackson Audio Golden Boy. It's a Bluesbreaker with a switchable boost as well.

Shask

Reaction score
it's moreso that the ST9pro+ is a reissue of the previous associated products that were released in the 80s -> Maxon/Ibanez ST-9, and Maxon ST-01 (ST-01 and ST-9 are identical). the Ibanez STL is very close, except that the mid control stage is after the clipping stage, whereas in the ST-9/ST-01/ST9pro+ - the mid control is before the clipping stage.

the main difference between the original ST-9 and the 'reissue' ST-9pro+ - is the addition of that low boost mode toggle, and a switchable internal chargepump that allows the option of running at 18V
(but tbh this 18V option kinda sucks, because the chargepump chip requires something like 1400ma power supply to run this mode, due to a massive current load spike at start-up, and it doesn't really sound much better for what i need- 9V is just fine)

- the VFE ice-cream is absolutely inspired by/taking notes from the original ST-9 circuit (yep, it's basically an ST-9 clone with mods)
I meant that Aion board you linked is a ST-9 Pro clone. It just doesn't have that bass boost. I wonder how you could add that.

Yeah, the Ice Scream has a bass low cut, so you can roll it off to make it super tight.

I wonder why that Charge Pump takes so much current. The Ice Scream clone just has a normal TC1044 Charge Pump for 18v.

owlexifry

Reaction score
I meant that Aion board you linked is a ST-9 Pro clone
it's not claiming to be.
the board/project offering is claiming to be a clone of the original ST-9.
(i posted the link because it includes a discussion about the history of all the models i mentioned above and how they are related)

It just doesn't have that bass boost. I wonder how you could add that.
this is also discussed in the link.
1712198724434.png

the author is postulating that the high pass filter (C7+R8) is on this 'low boost' switch and selects between a different set of values for a different (lower) high pass frequency (knee).
after trying it out, it certainly sounds like this is what it is doing.
(i'm not really a fan of it though, i'm all about that mid control)

1712198903489.png

1712198923124.png

and tbh, looking at how the 'LOCUT' operates in the VFE icecream/frostdrive, you basically already have a control that does the same thing, but with an infinite sweep on a pot, rather than just x2 high pass frequency settings (720Hz (stock mode) + 100Hz) on a toggle.
(the LOCUT control is already acting as a high pass filter before it gets to that clipping stage)

I wonder why that Charge Pump takes so much current. The Ice Scream clone just has a normal TC1044 Charge Pump for 18v.
it's because maxon used an obscure device.
1712199549046.png

1712198407074.png

1712199653480.png

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
I really like the buxom boost, the metalzone, and the SD-1. The SD-1 has the least output by far.

If you want something more “modern” but something cheap to get your feet wet, you might try a joyo Argos. I haven’t tried it personally but for $40 new, a precision drive clone makes a lot of sense.
Came here to post about the Argos. I have one. It's a fantastic Precision Drive clone.

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
So basically the precision drive without the Misha tax? Sounds good.
Yeah. It has the same controls and a noise gate. Pretty much with the attack setting set to off it’s a tube screamer with maybe a bit more volume output.

The “real” pedal is not worth what they are asking price wise. It should be like $120.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Just got the Uber Ultra. One of the few amps that doesn't necessarily need a boost for me but I still want one.

Currently I only have a DS1, its cool. Has it's place but maybe not the best for THIS amp. I made a couple of videos boosted with the KOT and I really really like that pedal with the Ultra but I just sold that due to insane prices so I'm in the market for something.

A little random info of my type of boost:

Maxon 808. To me this is the industry standard, the 5150 of overdrive pedals. Liked it a lot because It gives you just a little, just enough and not a complete tone changer.

A few of my most favorite boosys I've ever had: King of Tone, Duality DX, Buxom Boost, KoKo boost V1 and VFE Standout. Definitely ok with buying one of these again.

The one pedal that is on my GAS list is the dirty tree. While I really disliked the 33, probably my least favorite pedal I've ever had, Im aware the DT has more options plus I've heard so many people swear by it.

Not sure what is new, what is good or what else I should be looking at.

I typically like an overdrive vs. a clean boost, I like subtle but I am definitely ok with more than subtle as long as it can still do subtle as well.

Any suggestions?
Take a look at the Electro Harmonix Soul Food. Some people say it's the closest you'll get to a Klon without the stupid prices. I like it.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You already have a DS1. So just get an OD3 and be on your way. Mine is now 25 years old, twice repaired and will never leave me.

Latest posts

')