Recommend me a <1k 100 watt stack

• Thread starter 27duuude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a fairly cheap tube amp that can handle low tunings like Drop G/A standard and will give me a crunchier periphery type tone and can get to a whitechapel chug chug high gain tone. I was looking at jet city but they get muddy after B. My minimum is a 2x12 with a 100 watt head and I'd prefer the over all cost be under 1k if possible. I will buy used. I would like something that can be tightened up with an OD pedal and has pleanty of mids. Any input is welcome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score

That's kind of a thing around here anytime someone asks for a metal amp, the 5150/6505 gets called out as the ultimate. it actually happens enough here I'd consider just making a meme for the express purpose.

Personally I don't agree with the 5150/6505 as I don't particularly care for their tone much.

I'd look for a used Dual Rec personally if 100 Watts is required. The HT series are very dry and tight so they work well for lower tunings.

warhead78

Reaction score
I dont like 5150's either. The question wasnt what's a good amp, or what do YOU like :noplease:. The requisites were:

Tube - Check
Periphery crunch - Check
Chugga Chugga - Check
Lots mids - Check
Under a grand stack - Check

Its simply the right tool for the job IMO

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I dont like 5150's either. The question wasnt what's a good amp, or what do YOU like :noplease:. The requisites were:

Tube - Check
Periphery crunch - Check
Chugga Chugga - Check
Lots mids - Check

The alternative recommendation also meet said criteria...to be honest, those as the only criteria, we could probably fill this thread with a few dozen other recommendations.

Besides, preference is always a part of any recommendation. ;)

AzzMan

Reaction score
When I want a djent tone, the last thing I want is a 5150... I get along better with Mesas for that. Check out the Mark III, check out the 5150, check out the Randall V2 and T2.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
IMO, If he likes the Valveking idea, Get the VK100 head, some places sell them for $399... Then go for an Avatar Cab. 212 or 412. 412 would put him slightly over $1k. But hey, Valvekings usually sound WAY better on a good 412 or 212 instead of the VK Cab. It's Tube, 100 watts, Nice lower gain, Can be boosted with an OD, chugga chugga's and is a great value for a tube amp and the Avatar cab will kill with it. I was amazed at my brothers through a Mesa cab with Classic Lead 80's in it. Fuckin sick.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
You can get Peavey Triple X for around $500. Personally, I love its distortion, but I'd recommend trying one out first just to make sure it's heavy/dark enough for you.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 for the valveking.
Those are budget friendly and kick a lot of ass.
You can buy a cheap used one, get a used cab, and if you play your cards right, you can even get a decent OD pedal and still be under a grand. ;)

I got my cab for $100 off CL and it's loaded with Gk12-100's and my Valveking for $380.

There are plenty more options, but this is what I'd go with.

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
I've looked at a couple of valveking vids and they sound like they don't have much attack, which is what I'm looking for but the 5150 sounds like it has a lot of attack. I figured people would understand that a periphery crunch includes a lot of attack, both in the lower range and in the higher range. I think I'll go with the peavey 5150 but I was wondering what about the tone they don't like?

Reaction score
Get a used B-52 AT100, a ibanez tubescreamer and a faily good cab.

B-52 at100 shits all over the valvekings face.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score

Tube - Check
Periphery crunch - Check
Chugga Chugga - Check
Lots mids - Check

engl or VHT - check!

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
I've looked at a couple of valveking vids and they sound like they don't have much attack, which is what I'm looking for but the 5150 sounds like it has a lot of attack. I figured people would understand that a periphery crunch includes a lot of attack, both in the lower range and in the higher range. I think I'll go with the peavey 5150 but I was wondering what about the tone they don't like?
<biggest Periphery nerd ever

5150 is NOT anything like what periphery uses ...

This is straight valveking here, no boost even !
!

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
I'm not looking for an exact copy of periphery. Just the same amount of attack with a bit more "hair" almost like the contortionist

')