Recommend me a 7...

• Thread starter Bound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
So tax return time is fast approaching and seeing as my washburn has been stripped apart and hanging headless in my laundry room for the past 3 months, I think it's time for a new one....

I'm looking to spend around 600 and have been eye-balling both the Schechter 007 Elite and the Gryphon 7. I'm leaning towards the gryphon simply because of the HH configuration, but any suggestions in the price range would be most appreciated.

I've been thinking that it would be nice if the ESP H series came in 7, anything like that floating around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
there is an ESP H around, but they are hard to find..

Id suggest out of what you mentioned, Schecter 007's. Theres like 6 on ebay right now (when I wanted one really bad last month, there was 0. now theres at least 4 lol)

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Most folks here are going to tell you to get an Ibanez, but at that price range I read a lot about people switching out pickups after owning them for a while which is going to add to your cost. Also, most of the Ibanez guitars I've tried have very thin necks which I'm not into at all, you might be.

Can't say anything about ESP or Washburns in that price bracket.

Jackson have got the Christian Olde Wolbers 7 string and it's solidly built in Japan so you're onto a winner there. There's only one pickup though ...

Schecters' are a good bet, I've got a C7 Blackjack which come loaded with real Seymour Duncan's. Apart from the Ibanez fan-boys most of the people here will tell you that in terms of bang for your buck Schecters' are pretty much top of the pile.

You might want to hold on for a few months though, the 2008 lines for most manufacturers are going to be coming out soon, maybe there'll be something in that that really takes your fancy.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I'm going to dissent and say the Schecter Gryphon with upgraded pickups or you could always replace the single-coil in the Elite (which is a totally different animal, feel- and tone-wise) with a mini-humbucker like a lil' '59 or something. Also, check out the Blackjack 007... you don't need to upgrade pickups on that one.

Ibanezes are nice, but I can't stand the necks. I also prefer TOM hardtails to trems or standard hardtails... just something about the feel while muting.

wildchild

Reaction score
I was looking at the dean razorback 7

It looks sweet 24frets and set neck

But I guess it would be really expensive

I might get a 7620 but wheres the best place to get one in good condition

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
7620+Evo+AN.

On ebay, might even come with the pickups in it. Will run you around what you are looking at and slay the schecters... (imo)

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'll definately consider the s7620 in the equation. The only thing with the Ibby is the Wizard neck. I know they tend to be lean and fast, and I usually prefer a beefier neck, but I'll try to get my hands on one...

Whatever I buy I'm planning on swapping out the stock pups, probably for some DiMmy's of some sort, as that's what I did with my S-1 with great results (threw some evos in it)

Thanks again for the input!:metal:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
There is no such thing as the S7620. You can have an S7420 (second hand, awesome) or the S7320 (new, thicker neck) or an RG7620 (second hand, absolutely mindblowing guitar...thin neck)

HaGGuS

Banned
Reaction score
schecters are great guitars...
ibi,s are also awesome.. but usually need a pickup change..

if u go with an ibanez..
as most other people suggest..
a used 7620 would be a top score.. :yesway:

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
There is no such thing as the S7620. You can have an S7420 (second hand, awesome) or the S7320 (new, thicker neck) or an RG7620 (second hand, absolutely mindblowing guitar...thin neck)

or an RG 7420, which is essentially a 7620 with... what different pickups and a slightly different neck? still hear its kickass...

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
The 7420 is worse all around, especially the bridge.

Get a used 7620 and you'll likely find good pickups in it anyways. Mine was $440 for a used 7620 with an Evo7 bridge and a Blaze neck.

Go try out a 7420 though, because the neck profile is pretty similar (the 7620's is a bit thinner) and if you like the neck, go for a used 7620 on eBay. If not, go for the beefier Schecters.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i like the 7420 necks more actually, and the trem is really one of the better licensed floyds out there.
the S7320 fucking rocks if you like a thicker neck, and if you dont, shave the son of a bitch. thats what im doing

')