Recommend me a "Baby Rig"... lol

• Thread starter danger5oh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I haven't been impressed with the EHX .44 magnum amp pedal. Sounds okay, but there are better options for cheap, small, light amplification.

Like a used Crate Powerblock.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pawel

Reaction score
I have a pedalboard with pedal-sized preamps on it (currently AMT F1 and E1, previously Tech 21) which can then be run straight into an audio interface for recording or into a headphone amp a powered monitor or FX-loop in of an amp for everything else. Very flexible setup and you can switch pedals around for different sounds/flavours, so you won't get bored with it too quickly. It also takes less programming than a digital modeller.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I have Ht-5 and a hd400. To me, I can't just get as much gain as i want on the ht-5. It does a great modded Marshall tone and maybe a decent thrash tone but nothing more. I normally run my hd400 straight into the effects return. Also I'm running it into an avatar 2x12 with v30's to give you an idea of my rig.

Really?? My HT-20 and HT-60 both had WAY MORE gain than I would EVER need. I set the gain low and use a TS on the lowest gain setting and it's awesome. I've never had the gain past 1 o'clock with a tube screamer. Never needed it. And yes, I play LOTS of metal. :D The OD channel on the HT-5 is the lower gain OD channel found on the higher wattage models, but so is the 20, and like I said PLENTY of gain... hmmm... maybe you're using too much gain? I play metal with 1/4 gain on the Blackstar with the TS as I mentioned. Sounds MEAN!!

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I second the Blackstar options. Both of the HT's I've tried have been pretty awesome.

Let me add another option: Egnater Tweaker. I have the 15w mini-stack and it's pretty sweet. Sounds good at bedroom levels, and turns up loud enough for some gigs. I have experimented with running my Pod HD500 and Engl E530 into the effects return, and both options sound really good. Just tonight I hooked up the Pod via the 4-cable-method, set the amp to a higher gain setting, and used the effects from the Pod to tighten it up (overdrive, noise gate and delay mainly). HOLY COW.

Also, the Engl 530 sounds amazing. It has a simulated output that's not just awesome, but with impulses or through a proper power amp / cab setup, it rocks. It's not expensive either...I think I paid something like $350 for mine. There's also a low-power (1.5w) headphone amp built in that easily drives a cab at bedroom volumes.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input everyone. Yesterday was a NGD for me towards building the "Baby Rig"... picked up a POD HD500 for $300. I really had to sit down with it for a few hours to figure out how to get it working, but so far so good. I'm running it through my Vox Mini 3 for now, but I'll soon either be getting some powered speakers or a cab and an EHX pedal amp.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Update... sold the HD500.

While I really liked some of the tones I was able to coax out of the HD, I felt it was missing a certain something that can only come from plugging into something, turning a few knobs, and letting it rip. Call me old fashioned, but I'll take an amp and some pedals any day.

I did get a chance to play through an Amptweaker Tight Metal... and WOW... instant gratification. It was only plugged into a Roland Cube 40XL too. I think I last go that route instead... decent amp + Tight Metal... Or EHX Magnum & cab.

Bevo

Reaction score
I thought the same about the HD500 when I rented it, now I have one and have it figured out.
Through a PA speaker I can play super quiet with amazing tone, I was playing this morning at 5am and no one new.

The VHT special 6 and the Tweaker are pretty good as well as the Killer Ant from Blackheart, most will need a boost though.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning towards either an HT-5R combo or a Roland Cube 40XL at the moment. I'm thinking something small enough to put on my desk to play while at the computer for writing, tabs, recording, etc. I've heard great things about both.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning towards either an HT-5R combo or a Roland Cube 40XL at the moment. I'm thinking something small enough to put on my desk to play while at the computer for writing, tabs, recording, etc. I've heard great things about both.

I'd recommend the basic HT5C if you're going that way. The digital reverb is kinda useless. Not that's bad sounding, but it ca be driven to oscillation at extreme settings and really worried me on my HT20 (same digital reverb circuit).

That being said, the HT5 sounds massive with the right tubes and also handles overdrives / fuzz like a champ. It doesn't sound its best until about halfway, which is still frikkin loud.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
The only reason I was leaning towards the HT-5R was the addition of the tone control on the clean channel and I think it has a 12" as opposed to a 10" (once again, I think lol). I wonder if anyone has ever compared the two HT-5's to see if there really is a difference.

Bevo

Reaction score
The HT-5 is pretty loud so try it first.
A small SS amp would be better at super low volumes.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
The only reason I was leaning towards the HT-5R was the addition of the tone control on the clean channel and I think it has a 12" as opposed to a 10" (once again, I think lol). I wonder if anyone has ever compared the two HT-5's to see if there really is a difference.

The HT5C also has the Clean Tone and 12" speaker: HT-5C Combo Guitar Amplifier - Blackstar Amplification

I have owned both and there is definitely a difference in the Clean, but the Drive is the same. Not sharing tone controls makes a big difference.

You might want to consider the HT1, I was pretty happy with mine for awhile for just jamming around the house. Its surprisingly loud. Limited controls limits the enjoyment though...

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Hmmmmm... forgot all about the HT-1! How is the clean on it? I imagine it must have minimum headroom, but now I'm thinking if it is a nice clean at low levels, throwing a Tight Metal in front of it would basically make it the ultimate in baby friendly brutality.

Bevo

Reaction score
I tried this and it is dirt cheap, well worth the money..it was pretty cool through a 4-12.
Needs a boost for metal but it sounds good out of the box.

VMNT

Reaction score
In your situation any valve amp will be too loud. Get the Roland Cube and play with it. It's baby friendly and it doesn't cost much. If you don't like it, sell it. You won't lose much.

Latest posts

')