Recommend me a guitar with synth access

• Thread starter Guitarwizard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarwizard

Reaction score
So I want to purchase a guitar with a Roland GK pickup anytime soon, and as the Ibanez synth RG has been cancelled for 2008, I'm looking into other models.

I played the Godin Freeway SA, which ais available with synth access as well, but these necks are way to thick for me.
I wouldn't mind playing one of the VG Strats, but I don't need all the tuning-change/VG-system shit they have in, and I really dislike strats with Rosewood fretboart.

So far I found the Godin LGX-SA seems best for me, but they're expensive as hell... Do you know any other manufacer which makes Synth Access Guitars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sh275

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sh65

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sh575

I'm a little surprised Carvin doesn't also offer a solid-body guitar with synth access, but i guess they know the market they're going after. It seems to me that any guitar they can put a GraphTech system into, they should be able to add the Hexpander board to.

That might be an option... order a DC127 or something with the piezo package (which i assume is a GraphTech Ghost system) and add the hexpander and 13-pin output yourself.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
You can install the Roland midi wart/pickup on pretty much any guitar you like...?

CrashRG

I'm Back Bitches!
Reaction score
if you decide to go the stand-alone roland GK-3 synth pickup route, get ahold of me if youre interested, ive got a brand new Roland GR-20 Synth with the GK-3 pickup. its got maybe 5 hours of use on it.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
You can install the Roland midi wart/pickup on pretty much any guitar you like...?

That's true but they're not nearly as nice as having it built in IMO.

I have a Mexi GK Strat and it's alright. The stock pups suck (except for the GK of course). They all seem to have rosewood fb's of course (not sure why that is) and maybe not enough frets for some people but they do the job and they're pretty reasonable.

The first thing I did (before even leaving the store) was put a set of graphtec saddles on it ($30?). I hate the stamped saddles.

I'm sure there are better options out there these days. I just wanted to offer my :2c: on the Roland Ready strats.

BTW I had thought about dropping the GK system into an American Std. strat (and doing the pup swap) but I got such a great deal on my 50th Anniv. Deluxe that I passed on an Amer std. and don't want to @#$% with the Deluxe. :squint:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Come to think of it, you could easily drop a GraphTech Ghost+Hexpander system into any guitar with either a Strat-style bridge or a Tune-o-Matic. As long as it has a big enough control cavity, you should be good to go.

Ibanez makes some pretty sweet fixed-bridge RGs that would all make great host systems for that type of thing, though you'd probably have to rout the cavities a bit bigger.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
The complete Ghost Hexpander set up will run you $400 USD. Add to that any hardtail Ibanez like Darren said, and you're set. Or, if you want a Floyd, it'll run you more, but grab anything that's got a licensed Floyd and drop it in there. Graphtech now makes an entire replacement bridge for LFR's.

Buy this:

Products & Ordering - Graph Tech

And this:

And you have yourself a LFR equipped synth access guitar. Subtract roughly $200 if you just want a hardtail guitar with teh Graphtech saddles. Or you can go nutty and get this:

and make it a complete 3-voice guitar. I'm thinking of doing this to either my RG421 or getting a project strat. Probably going to do my 421 though.

Guitarwizard

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks very much for all the suggesitons!

As for the option of installing the Ghost Pickup myself, I think I would rather just buy a Godin Freeway for 900$ and sand the neck down (or buy a custom one)..
A decent Ibby fixed bridge RG will be at least 1k$, and in addition with the Ghost pickup, this gets pretty expensive, so I could almost buy the LGX..

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
stb_1111.jpg

Steinberger M series is the correct answer. :agreed:

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
Godin LGXSA is the one of the best guitars I've ever played, though I see you think it's too expensive. It's only about 1300 US which isn't bad. If I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat

edit: OK they're 1600 new that is a bit high

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
stb_1111.jpg

Steinberger M series is the correct answer. :agreed:

That must be from Ed Roman's site, you can see the route for where the Trans/S trem went, the douche bag replaced it with an R Trem, and is probably trying to sell it at the same price still.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
That must be from Ed Roman's site, you can see the route for where the Trans/S trem went, the douche bag replaced it with an R Trem, and is probably trying to sell it at the same price still.

:ugh: Sorry, I wouldn't willingly post any of Roman's molestations here, just quick grabbed an M for example.

jazzsinger

Reaction score
I have a Godin xtSA that is very nice. Like you said, the neck is a bit thick on it. I also have a Brian Moore iguitar 8.13. It has a much thinner neck and plays very nicely. It seems to track the lower notes better than the Godin when finger-picking. However, the acoustic piezo output on the BM can only be accessed using a y-cable. The Godin is much more flexible with better routing for the various signals. My Godin has upgraded pickups including a Seymour Duncan in bridge positon, and someone added a coil tap. The HSH pickups on the Godin sound better and more versatile to my ears than the BM Seymour Duncans, which in single coil mode are a bit thin sounding. You can find a used made-in-Korea BM for under $500. I've seen Chinese versions for under $300.00. Either way, it's cheaper than buying all the Ghost parts for another guitar.

I'm keeping my Godin but adding one more switch for acoustic/mag to make switching easier. The Brian Moore will also stay, but I plan to have it converted to a seven string guitar/bass combination with a Wizard7-like-neck (thin like the original, but with only 22 frets) being made for it.

')