Recommend me an EQ

• Thread starter dwilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dwilk

Reaction score
Rack or pedal. Don't care. I have a Phonix 30 band and it's overkill for a guitar rig. I play through a Vader 4x12, 6505+, Agile Interceptor Pro if it helps.

Been in the market for a new one and want to hear what you guys have to say! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
its already on your amp

xtacles

boosh
Reaction score
What's your budget? Get a parametric EQ. TC 1140 has strong reviews

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The 30 band EQ is only overkill if you make it overkill. You have great control of frequency selection and bandwidth tweaking there, should you need it. If not, then just avoid being too 'surgical' with it. It will do the same job as any other EQ but with more possibilities.

The only reason I would change if I were you, is if you will profit from selling the 30 band and buying something else / find the 30 band inconvinient for any reason (That might well be the case as from what I can see on google it's not a rack/pedal which you want. I should've checked that first :) )

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
boss_eq20a__00030.jpg

groph

Reaction score
The MXR 10 band is a pretty solid pedal. I had one but got rid of it because I decided even that was overkill. You're probably fine with the controls on your amp, just keep tweaking. Granted, there might be some frequency you can't eliminate so I won't assume you don't know how to turn a knob. I'd recommend the MXR pedal, I think it's the M-108 10 Band EQ. Solid as a rock, and the sliders light up so you can see everything easily. 10 bands isn't too much either, and I think they make a 6 or a 7 band one as well so you could look into those.

dwilk

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I will be checking all of this out. I guess I should have stated a lot more than I did haha.

My main issue with my E.Q. is that it's not transparent. It's actually quite hummy even through a decimator and I think it's something weird/electrical problem with the e.q. itself, as I'm not receiving the noise when running similar items through the effects loop. I also am solely looking for a smaller eq because I just want to boost the mids for when my band hits lead sections live, and only during that time will the eq be activated. I have footswitches galore which is why I don't have a preference on it being in pedal or rack-mountable form.

32 band tone-wise is a little overkill with my patience level as I'm not going to tweak out before every show and make sure all the sliders hadn't moved in the trailer.

I've heard running a small eq and a tube screamer can really bring your amp to the next level from a lot of people, so I went ahead and ordered the tube screamer and I figured what better time than now to look into some EQ options.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hows the noise I that one Max, I know their 7 band is supposed tobe a bit noisy, but that one is a field day for a guy using multiple guitars.

I owned one those, just sold it.
There was no noise as far as I could tell. It was an awesome pedal!
The only issue I had with it is that the presets were scrolled with the small button, not a pedal. So you could bypass the unit with one switch, and use the other to change between the manual sliders and a preset, but not change presets themselves while playing.

They are pretty much impossible to find now. I got mine like two years ago and it was already discontinued then. They sell for a nice price :)

It's great for multiple guitars like you said :)

groph

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I will be checking all of this out. I guess I should have stated a lot more than I did haha.

My main issue with my E.Q. is that it's not transparent. It's actually quite hummy even through a decimator and I think it's something weird/electrical problem with the e.q. itself, as I'm not receiving the noise when running similar items through the effects loop. I also am solely looking for a smaller eq because I just want to boost the mids for when my band hits lead sections live, and only during that time will the eq be activated. I have footswitches galore which is why I don't have a preference on it being in pedal or rack-mountable form.

32 band tone-wise is a little overkill with my patience level as I'm not going to tweak out before every show and make sure all the sliders hadn't moved in the trailer.

I've heard running a small eq and a tube screamer can really bring your amp to the next level from a lot of people, so I went ahead and ordered the tube screamer and I figured what better time than now to look into some EQ options.

I had a ton of noise when I added my MXR 10 band to the loop, I forgot to mention. Bear in mind I probably didn't have things set to "unity gain" or whatever the hell that is, and it might not have been in the right loop. I'm pretty retarded when it comes to these things. Don't let that discourage you from MXR, I'm sure when set up properly the pedal is pretty low noise and transparent if it's anything like their other pedals. Just saying, if it's not set up properly you're going to get noise of course.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I owned one those, just sold it.
There was no noise as far as I could tell. It was an awesome pedal!
The only issue I had with it is that the presets were scrolled with the small button, not a pedal. So you could bypass the unit with one switch, and use the other to change between the manual sliders and a preset, but not change presets themselves while playing.

They are pretty much impossible to find now. I got mine like two years ago and it was already discontinued then. They sell for a nice price :)

It's great for multiple guitars like you said :)

You sure it is discontinued, it is on the boss website and everything.

Edit n/m..

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
MXR 10 band! It adds absolutely no noise to my setup and sounds great! Plus since it's a pedal I can easily click it off with my foot if I want to, but honestly I never turn it off, cause it makes the amp sound so F'ing good!!!!

dwilk

Reaction score
This MXR 10 band is going for 98 dollars right now new... and if it's solid enough to have all of you guys recommending it, then I might as well go ahead and get my boner pants on.

I'll give it a whirl on this order and I'm sure I'll post some feedback up. Thanks for the help guys.

')