Recommend me light weight guitars, my spine is broken!

• Thread starter Ænima
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
As I was reading al I could think about was my ZM and how light it is in comparison to the 245. I couldn't recommend this guitar enough, especially now with a range of colours to chose from its a bit of a no brainer purchase for someone looking for a quality and versatile instrument. Best money I have ever spent was on one of these. Few choice upgrades and they really do hold their own for a mid level guitar.

What upgrades would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Jackson SLSMG (SLS for...Super Lightweight Soloist)
Jackson DKMGT/DKMG/DXMGT/DXMG....or any Dinky, period.

Anything made out of Alder should be pretty light, overall.

vansinn

Reaction score
You could try looking to emeraldguitars.com
Alistar makes both acoustic and electric carbons.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your back issue, hope you'll find some way of treatment.

(I had issues since kid + a skydiving landing smack into the ground, now healed - took some twenty years of private treatment (acupuncture and body-sds))

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I'll cast my vote for an Ibanez S. Sure it's not the lightest, but all these suggestions vs an 11lbs LP is going to be a big difference.

s4tch

Reaction score
Jackson SLSMG (SLS for...Super Lightweight Soloist)

While I love my SLSMG, I'd never call it light. Mine weighs a tiny bit more than my basswood RG560. It's still lighter than a regular full-bodied Soloist, but that won't make it a super light axe.

As for a DXMG: I wouldn't recommend X-series Jacksons when you can get a DKMG or a DKMGT for a similar price.

Also, while alder is a light wood, I've had some Ibanez RT's that were heavy as f**k compared to a similar sized basswood RG.

Ænima

Reaction score
thank you for all the input guys, im looking into any and all options, a parker fly classic? i think is looking F'n SWEET!

Alder and Swamp ash seem to be pretty lightweight

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Washburn wm series guitars, if you can get a hold of one, seriously the lightest guitars EVER. After that I will repeat what others have said, ibanez S series and Parkers.

Vrollin

Reaction score
What upgrades would you do?

Just some locking tuners and a nice new well cut nut, I went with black tusq and cut the slots to the correct gauge I'm using, and as with everything the pickups of your choice, the stocks are quite good but who are we kidding we all change pickups even if we think the stock ones are decent...

Another benefit of this guitar over most PRS is you get the adjustable bridge so you can properly intonate for lower tuning...

Kobalt

Reaction score
As for a DXMG: I wouldn't recommend X-series Jacksons when you can get a DKMG or a DKMGT for a similar price.
They were all solid MIJs, so I think it's a matter of preference, really. :metal:

7strung

Reaction score
I didn't read the other pages so I'm sure it was said but if not, Parker.
The one I've held felt like nothing.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Used Parker Fly Deluxe will be nice on your back (typically a touch lighter than the Classic model) as many have said. I'd also throw out there that most of the Carvin HH2's I've owned were featherweights as well! :agreed:

s2k9k

Reaction score
My RGD2127FX was ridiculously light. If you're interested in a seven.

Toxin

no, i don't drink vodka
Reaction score
PRS Hollowbody(way more resonant and probably a bit lighter than ibanez S-series)
About 5-5.5lbs

hamster

Reaction score
My RGD2127FX was ridiculously light. If you're interested in a seven.

I agree, I have the RGD2127Z, and even with the ZERO 7 trem the guitar is really light for a seven strings guitar.

I also have many back pain problems. I have a Gibson Flying V, and this guitar seems to be lighter than most of my RG prestige guitars.

apart from that, i think that the lightest I ever used were Ibanez S guitars and a very old 540R. If my memory is good Ishibashi actually sells one or two 540R for less than 800$ including shipping.

')