Recommend me some good modern prog/ "new prog"

Eden

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been aching to hear some fresh music for a while but am not finding anything that's sticking. I'm a big fan of Coheed & Cambria, Dear Hunter, Mars Volta, Between the Buried and Me, Periphery and the sorts. What are some great bands that I may be overlooking? Any bands wonky or interesting you can think of?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eden

Reaction score
HAKEN, how could I forget to mention them. I adore what those guys are doing, they scratch every Dream Theater itch that I have, except I can listen to them for an extended period of time.

I will have to do a good dive on those other bands though, I'm seeing Leprous open for BTBAM and TDH later this month so I need to be more familiar with their stuff. Their most recent album had some solid tracks, so I'll have to go deeper for sure.

As for those other bands, they are definetly going on the list.

mikah912

Reaction score
A Sense of Gravity, Native Construct, Binary Code, Earthside and Exist should be required listening too. All have a good amount of melody and clean vocals.

rokket2005

Reaction score
Leprous' first three albums are their best IMO, especially Bilateral and Tall Poppy Syndrome. I saw them on Saturday and they played only stuff off Malina except for The Price.

mikah912

Reaction score
Leprous' first three albums are their best IMO, especially Bilateral and Tall Poppy Syndrome. I saw them on Saturday and they played only stuff off Malina except for The Price.

Agreed, especially on Bilateral. That's still the masterpiece to me. I saw them headline with Earthside opening on the touring cycle for The Congregation, and they played a good mixture of stuff across all of the albums.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
+1000 Haken
I've recently discovered this band called Thank You Scientist, their latest record is really good.
A bit different from the bands previously mentioned but give'em a try.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
+1000 Haken
I've recently discovered this band called Thank You Scientist, their latest record is really good.
A bit different from the bands previously mentioned but give'em a try.
Thank you scientist is excellent. Gives me a huge mars volta vibe

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Another vote here for Native Contruct. Found them the other week and been loving how odd it all sounds haha

JouniK86

Autistic philosopher
Reaction score
+1 for Haken, Caligula's Horse and especially Leprous.

More additions probably too much on the more popular side, but nonetheless:

Also, Vektor's last album "Terminal Redux" was a unique example of where retro thrash aestheetics and pompous progressive metal meet while Oranssi Pazuzu's "Värähtelijä" certainly provided a progressive tinge to their soul-crushingly heavy psychedelic black metal jams.

inaudio

Hack Fraud
Reaction score
While technically not prog I find that Mouse on the Keys attracts me for a lot of the same reasons as prog music does. I don't think that I've ever seen anyone mention them on this forum either so hopefully it's something that you haven't heard before.

Dcm81

Reaction score
Only one mention so far so I'll second Sikth!

They're relatively huge so this won't be any revelation but give Protest the Hero a try if you never have. Sorry, but I can't not mention them when it comes to prog!

Not the proggiest but Mandroid Echostar is worth a shot.

Vitalism is purely instrumental but their new EP gets at least a daily listen from me:

Last edited:

KailM

Reaction score
Isn't "good modern prog" an oxymoron? I've always thought so. :lol:

Metropolis

Reaction score
Protest The Hero, Disperse, David Maxim Micic, Shokran, Flux Conduct, Widek, Modern Day Babylon, Sergey Golovin.

How about Nick Johnston? Very different from all those prog metal or core influenced bands. Beatiful, progressive, a bit wonky and interesting.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Porcupine Tree
Shattered Skies
Gru
Intronaut
Baroness (specifically the blue, yellow and green albums)
Ceterum

Avedas

Reaction score
While technically not prog I find that Mouse on the Keys attracts me for a lot of the same reasons as prog music does. I don't think that I've ever seen anyone mention them on this forum either so hopefully it's something that you haven't heard before.

These guys play locally pretty frequently in a lot of cool clubs too. I've been into them for ages but never made it out to a show. I should do that soon.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Does Avian count as prog? Not sure but give it a try, you never know...

Eden

Reaction score
Ooooh boy, you guys are giving me quite a list and I am so damn excited to start diving into them. Thus far I've only started listening to Leprous - Bilateral and I'm loving it. Unfortunately, BTBAM's new album dropped today so that's gonna be taking some time, but I'm still making my list of bands to check out from here!

Latest posts

')