Recommend me some instrumental metal

• Thread starter innovine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

innovine

Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations for instrumental metal. I like some downtuned, chuggy, sludgy groovy stuff, with some good riffs. I am not a big fan of progressive, shred, or anything with too many notes and super fast playing. Blast beats with a little clicky kick that goes bidibidibidibidi is also pretty annoying..
I'm after something along the lines of early Pelican, Amenra, Isis, Black Cobra, Russian Circles..
ok, some of those aren't strictly instrumental, and that's ok, but no cookie monster stuff, I find that plain silly. No thanks to nu-metal also.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
There's not a lot of instrumental stuff that isn't shreddy nor downtuned stuff that isn't growly.

I like Candlemass quite a bit, dunno if that's at all interesting to you.

TIMEwaveXERO

Reaction score

Pomegranate Tiger

Apologies.. just had a thorough read of want you wanted. Good thing is...this is EXACTLY what you don't want. Progressive and fast

innovine

Reaction score

Intervals and Scale the Summit are both awesome

I've been listening to a little Scale the Summit recently, and it's not bad. A bit too many notes and chord changes and melody for my tastes, but not too bad :) If it was just a little darker and restrained, harmonically.. will check out Intervals, thanks for the tip.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score

Callisto too, the first album is especially awesome but I figure the rare vocals on it are cookie monster stuff.

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
You may enjoy this track, but the band itself isnt instrumental, just this song. But still, this might be one of the heaviest things ive ever heard.

MUTANTOID

Reaction score
Lattitudes is pretty much what you're looking for..

Intronaut is pretty well known so you've probably heard 'em. Plus they aren't instrumental and progressive.

Irepress

innovine

Reaction score
Wonderful responses, thanks so much (and keep em coming)! This will take some time to dig through :)

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Marty Friedman's solo records...
There is some shred, but loads of melody too.

Latest posts

')