Recommend me some nice, cheap studio headphones

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Can't afford monitors right now. I just need something cheap with a flat eq response, preferably under $80. I've been searching Music123 but a lot of the descriptions make them sound like they have bass/treble boost. Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

behringer hps3000, they aren't dead flat but you'll get used to them really fast, If you want super transparent you need akg.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
If you can pony up another 10 to 20 bucks, you're already in AKG-141 or Sony MDR-7506 territory. Both of which have been the de facto standard in most of the studios I've interned/worked at. Although I think part of the reason was because they're easily field-serviceable.

Both sound reasonably good. Although I prefer the 7506's because of their closed-design.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Would the hps5000 be better then? I can spare an extra $5 if it makes a difference.

Will not monitoring with something that's completely transparent make the mix sound bad when played through regular speakers or headphones?

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anything AKG will work. At the cheap end, the K55 or K65, middle ground would be the K141, ideally, the K240 (which is what I use).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If it's nice then won't be cheap. The 'industry standard' studio headphones are the AKG K240S which are fantastic. They go for $99. I've never been able to find cheaper ones that could come even close - just save up another $20 and go for those.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
I've always thought about buying the Carvin ones. Anyone own some that wants to chime in?

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
If it's nice then won't be cheap. The 'industry standard' studio headphones are the AKG K240S which are fantastic. They go for $99. I've never been able to find cheaper ones that could come even close - just save up another $20 and go for those.
How much/what kind of a difference is there? Does the difference come while you're recording or after mixing?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
How much/what kind of a difference is there? Does the difference come while you're recording or after mixing?

They just sound better for everything. Recording, mixing, playback, whatever. The answer is both.

D

Desecrated

Would the hps5000 be better then? I can spare an extra $5 if it makes a difference.

Will not monitoring with something that's completely transparent make the mix sound bad when played through regular speakers or headphones?

no, the hps5000 are horrible, stay away from them.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Let me clarify my question. If I use them for recording and mixing, will there be a significant difference when played back on speakers or headphones without a flat eq? I know that most regular speakers have some sort of built-in bass boost, so if I eq the mix based on a flat response in my headphones, would it be overly bassy when played back on my mp3 player?

D

Desecrated

If your going to record don't use the AKG K240S are semi-open microphones, And the behringer hps3000 is a open headphone. Instead get the koss QZ99, they cost 59 dollars or so.

D

Desecrated

Let me clarify my question. If I use them for recording and mixing, will there be a significant difference when played back on speakers or headphones without a flat eq? I know that most regular speakers have some sort of built-in bass boost, so if I eq the mix based on a flat response in my headphones, would it be overly bassy when played back on my mp3 player?

Not really, but thats why you use normal stereos as a reference system. you'll get used to your headphones/monitors/amps/equipment really soon, and figure out how to mic with it. It doesn't matter if its akg or behringer or beyerdynamic or anything else. as long as you got ears and some talent you can figure it out.

I can recommend a single headphone under 99 dollars that will do for both recording and mixing. I'm sorry, my tip would then be to get the koss and the behrigner. That would still land you under 99 dollars right ?

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
Sony MDR 7506 or the MDR V6... Very great headphones that have a "real world" EQ curve built in. I cant stand a pair of flat headphones. The 7506's are my favorite but the V6 is really good but a bit cheaper.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
If your going to record don't use the AKG K240S are semi-open microphones, And the behringer hps3000 is a open headphone. Instead get the koss QZ99, they cost 59 dollars or so.

Actually, they're not that bad. I use the AKG K240S, and used the AKG K240M in the studio in school and have rarely had a problem with bleed (usually just click bleeding through, which is easily fixed with better mic placement, or turning down the headphones to a reasonable level).

Though I have been thinking of picking up a set of the Shure E2's for when I'm tracking, so I can have a fully isolated sound in my ears while I'm setting up mic placements, instead of having the sound outside the headphones bleeding in and making it hard to get an idea of the sound coming through the mic.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Actually, they're not that bad. I use the AKG K240S, and used the AKG K240M in the studio in school and have rarely had a problem with bleed (usually just click bleeding through, which is easily fixed with better mic placement, or turning down the headphones to a reasonable level).

Though I have been thinking of picking up a set of the Shure E2's for when I'm tracking, so I can have a fully isolated sound in my ears while I'm setting up mic placements, instead of having the sound outside the headphones bleeding in and making it hard to get an idea of the sound coming through the mic.
I actually already have a pair of Shure E2s, but since they're not made for studio work, wouldn't it be safer to assume they don't have a flat eq? Also, the bass response changes a lot depending on how you wear them, so I'm not sure how practical they'd be for mixing.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually already have a pair of Shure E2s, but since they're not made for studio work, wouldn't it be safer to assume they don't have a flat eq? Also, the bass response changes a lot depending on how you wear them, so I'm not sure how practical they'd be for mixing.

No, I'd use the AKG K240S, a set of Bose headphones I have, and a couple different sets of speakers for mixing, as I already do, I'd use the E2s for tracking and mic placement.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Ok, so I could use the E2c for mic placement (which I probably won't be doing as I record direct) and the Behringer and/or Koss for recording and mixing. Which do I use for what application? What's the difference between open and closed headphones?

D

Desecrated

From wikipedia:

Open

Open headphones (sometimes marketed as “open air” headphones) have an open grille on the back of the driver, exposing the driver to the outside, and allowing the sound waves to propagate away from the ear freely. This backing type does not isolate the listener from outside sounds; in addition, sound through open headphones can be easily heard by others in the vicinity of the user (not always a desirable quality). They, however, usually have less sound distortion (due to the lack of resonance) and tighter controlled sound reproduction. Most audiophile-quality headphones, such as the AKG K-701, Grado GS1000, and Sennheiser HD 650 are open headphones.

[edit] Closed

Closed headphones have a sealed backing, which attenuates sound waves propagating in the direction away from the ear. As a result, listeners away from the headphones cannot hear the produced sound easily. In addition, sound from outside is attenuated by the sealed backing, providing a level of isolation to the listener (typically a 10 dB decrease in outside sounds). A sealed chamber is often claimed to have a negative effect of distorting sound in certain instances and providing “boomier”, less controlled bass. Examples of closed headphones: AKG K271S, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, Sony MDR-V6, Koss Pro/4AA, Ultrasone HFI-550, Beyerdynamic DT-770, Rystl SH-400.

')