Recommend me some series

• Thread starter petereanima
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gdbjr21

Reaction score
I'm waiting for lost and 24 also. But right now I watch Burn Notice and Psych.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
For something truly epic I recommend Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, one of the most underrated series in history. Brilliantly written and acted. Intense, thought-provoking, emotional, and at times very funny.

:agreed:

Especially the Dominion-war parts. And the most awesome ship of the Trek-universe is in there :D

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
Dexter, Sarah conner chronicles (though got cancelled after second season), firefly if you haven't already (again cancelled, but after the first season), sopranos is good but there's a lot of it and it's not as long-term-story-arc driven as what you seem to like. First two season of dexter are amazing, season three isn't as good but still very entertaining. Dunno how you like sci-fi but there's also battlestar galactica, if you can get past some of the cheese.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
If anything, just watch it for Ian McShane's portrayal of Albert Swearengen. Best on-screen character EVER. It's never been so easy to fall in love with such a rotten, evil douchebag, realizing that maybe he's not completely rotten after all. ;)

This. Most powerful character in a serie in the last couple of years. INCREDIBLE performance.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
House M.d is god damned amazing. I love that program.

Also theres this series I used to watch on the sci-fi channel, called The Sentinel, about a US Army Ranger who develops super-human senses after being lost in the Peruvian jungles for 18 months, and action stuff ensues. Was a good program.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Someone's already recommended Deadwood... I'll do the same. :agreed:

And if you can import DVDs, get the Australian series Underbelly. Season 1, Season 2's alright but can't touch 1.

liquidcow

Reaction score
some recommend me the Sopranos, but lots of my friends say that its super-boring...

I wouldn't say it's super boring, but it does seem odd watching it now to think that everyone said it was the greatest TV show ever. Probably more because it doesn't seem quite so revolutionary 10 years later. I'd say it's worth a watch, I'm halfway through the last season myself.

I would recommend The Wire. It is somewhat difficult at first but very much worth it.

Mad Men is also very good. I've also really liked Big Love but it doesn't seem to be that popular.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone's already recommended Deadwood... I'll do the same. :agreed:

And if you can import DVDs, get the Australian series Underbelly. Season 1, Season 2's alright but can't touch 1.

Underbelly was actually illegal to own in one state here because it's based on a true story, which was currently at trial at the time, so they thought it would contaminate the jury.

All that said, the series gives me the shits. Atrocious acting courtesy of Australia :lol:

I'm going to go down an older route :lol:

Daria
The Saint (Roger Moore FTMFW :metal:)
The Avengers (the series, not the fuck-awful "movie" they made :noway:)
Lost in Space (again, the series from the 60's/70's :D)
Doctor Who (up until Peter Davison played the doctor. After that the series went downhill :noway:)
Edge Of Darkness (insanely awesome and surprisingly intimidating nuclear oriented conspiracy series from the 80's. Watch it.)

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Yeah, it was banned in the state I live in. :squint:

And it didn't help that Desi Moran lived and got shot around the corner from my work. :squint: :squint:

Of course that didn't stop me from watching it. :lol:

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I would recommend The Wire. It is somewhat difficult at first but very much worth it.

Some of the politics and the gangster speak (in a way it reminds me of a Clockwork Orange) can be confusing but it is unlike any other show ever made so it's worth persevering with.

The Wire gets portrayed as a cop show but I feel thats doing it a disservice and underestimating it as slowly with each episode it progresses beyond a simple genre or label of TV, it adds upon it's foundation each series with new characters and scenarios but never does it come across as if the shows writers are trying to cram stuff in for the sake of it.

Thing I like most about it is that the characters evolve and by the time they exit the show some are completely different altogether and I really enjoy that as most of the time realistic character development is a rarity in TV.

For example I hated the character of Bubs as I hate smackheads with a passion but now I really like him and understand the character.
I'll freely admit that by the time of the season 4 finale I was crying like a little kid when I saw how far Bubs had gone, it hit me hard and it was a big shock to me as no TV show has ever connected with me on such an intense emotional level before.

Auyard

Reaction score
Arrested Development- it's comedy but i still thinks it's an amazing show and you can watch all the episodes for free on fancast.com

Carnivale- I'm only on episode 7 but still seems pretty cool so far, seems like they're building up to a huge climax

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
Battlestar Galactica (the new one, not the 70's one)

This was the best show ever, IMHO. A lot of people I know who generally don't like sci-fi end up getting hooked on this show because it has great characters and makes some really interesting social commentaries.

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
Arrested Development- it's comedy but i still thinks it's an amazing show and you can watch all the episodes for free on fancast.com

:agreed: The more you know the characters, the funnier it gets. It's a bit like the Simpsons in that respect. I love the way seemingly irrelevant things happen with no explanation for many episodes or even across whole series...

Carnivale- I'm only on episode 7 but still seems pretty cool so far, seems like they're building up to a huge climax

Carnivale is amazing, I should warn you they planned several series but it was cancelled after the 2nd :mad: so if you're a fan of closure, prepare to be annoyed, it just peters out :lol: However it is a fantastic series & I was going to recommend it when I saw this thread.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Auyard and Dr. Von Goosewing beat me to the punch on, "Carnivale." Loved this show, and was shocked to see it cut.

"American Gothic" is another one that I'd recommend.

From the BBC, let me recommend going with, "the Prisoner." It's a bit dated, but there are a few points wherein relevance is a matter of switching nationalities of the characters involved.

"Babylon 5" for some very impressive writing. Although "Crusade" and the movies were dismal disappointments.

"Boogiepop Phantom" is still my favorite TV series. The writing and vocal acting are very impressive, though it may be a bit off-putting because characters look fairly similiar to one-another and there's the issue of time along with remembering minute details between episodes, which are often unrelated to one-another (this is similar to "Twin Peaks"). Unfortunately, this was only a single season show. :(

liquidcow

Reaction score
The Wire gets portrayed as a cop show but I feel thats doing it a disservice and underestimating it as slowly with each episode it progresses beyond a simple genre or label of TV, it adds upon it's foundation each series with new characters and scenarios but never does it come across as if the shows writers are trying to cram stuff in for the sake of it.

I agree with the exception of Season 5, where the newspaper office felt like one institution too many and did seem a bit 'crammed in' to me. It may just have been the length of the season though, I do wish they'd been able to do the full 13 episodes as it would have made a huge difference.

')