Recommend me some series

• Thread starter petereanima
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
This was the best show ever, IMHO. A lot of people I know who generally don't like sci-fi end up getting hooked on this show because it has great characters and makes some really interesting social commentaries.

Shows like Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and movies such as District 9 and The Dark Knight basically act as metaphors for problems and conflicts that we have in real life imo this is something that all the best in Sci-Fi does and is the advantage it holds over any other type of fiction.

From the BBC, let me recommend going with, "the Prisoner." It's a bit dated, but there are a few points wherein relevance is a matter of switching nationalities of the characters involved.

"Babylon 5" for some very impressive writing. Although "Crusade" and the movies were dismal disappointments.

The Prisoner is awesome one of my all time faves but like all good things from the past 40 years it's subject to yet another remake right now!:wallbash:

I could write several books about my love of B5 (my greatest regret is not going to a convention where my dad met all the cast and actually spent the weekend hanging out with J.M.S. and Andreas Katsulas!) but as for Crusade I can barely get through an episode imo they screwed up by making it the same as any other "Star Trek" type show and it's piss poor budget didn't help things either

I agree with the exception of Season 5, where the newspaper office felt like one institution too many and did seem a bit 'crammed in' to me. It may just have been the length of the season though, I do wish they'd been able to do the full 13 episodes as it would have made a huge difference.

I see what you mean as parts of the McNulty murders scenario does good to question how far we should go for justice but it feels a bit ridiculous to me sometimes and I'm not too happy about what happens to Omar either.

Gilligan's Island

What the fuck is Gilligans Island? I hear about this show a lot in other tv shows and movies but it's never been shown over here and despite the fact that I suspect it's crap I almost want to watch it out of curiosity.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll say it again, just because it deserves way more attention that it gets I think;

Breaking Bad.

It's just stupid good.
For a quick rundown - It's basically a drama about this dude (played amazingly by Bryan Cranston, the dad from Malcolm In The Middle). He's a chemistry teacher who finds out he has lung cancer, and is told he only has a few months to live. This guy's like a total button-down Ned Flanders type, wouldn't hurt a fly or anything, but by chance runs into an old student of his who has turned into a down-and-out meth cook/dealer. So in desperation to make money to provide for his family after he's dead he teams up with him, and they get into the meth game. With his chemistry skills he makes the best meth anyone's ever seen, and him and the other guy basically get further and further into the drug game as the series' go on, all the while trying to hide it from his family and what not.

It's just... you have to watch it, anyone who hasn't already.

troyguitar

Reaction score
What the fuck is Gilligans Island? I hear about this show a lot in other tv shows and movies but it's never been shown over here and despite the fact that I suspect it's crap I almost want to watch it out of curiosity.

It's the original "Group of random people stranded on an Island" series. It's old and mainly comedy as opposed to the drama/weirdness of Lost, but it definitely has its moments.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i am just watching a mini-serie called "the lost room", 6 episodes (originally they were 3, but for the european dvd-release they spitted each episode into 2 of 45 minutes each), and i have watched 4 of them. its cool, short, but cool!

pink freud

Reaction score
I never watched it on TV, but I'm catching the Hulu updates:

Stargate SG1. Good stuff.

Auyard

Reaction score
Two more.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Can't say enough about this show. I absolutely love it, but some people I know can't stand it, but I have a fucked up sense of humor so.... Also, had Danny Devito in the second or middle of the 1st season.

The Office- I saw the british one mentioned but it's very short. The Office is gold to me, it's one of the few shows on tv I actually make time for out of my day to watch.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
read a book ?

:ugh:

Seb, i'm looking for television stuff BECAUSE i've "only" read books in the last months. i've finished the A Song Of Ice And Fire series by George Martin, and it is so over-the-top awesome that i have to kill the time while waiting for the next book (series is unfinished yet). and unfortunately the books were so awesome that all other books seem shit at the moment, therefor i need TV stuff. if you enjoy books, check this series out, for details look for my thread in this subforum!

and @ Hypothermia: YES, The Shield is awesome! :cool:

')