Recommend Some 7-String music for me

new2sevenstring

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been playing for a little over 8 years and just bought a Prestige RG1527 on ebay-should have it in a week or so.

I listen to all kinds of music, but the music that got me fascinated with the seven string was that composed by Steve Vai and John Petrucci. I love prog and heavy rock (metal is hit or miss with me), and am into many other facets as well.

This is my first threat on this forum, and I'd like to have your suggestions on 7-string music that has inspired you or that you like playing. I can handle myself pretty well on guitar and am not afraid of something challenging. All suggestions are appreciated.

thanks and stay true to good music. Enjoy your holidays guys.

Matt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Psionicist

Reaction score
Depending on your tastes in metal you might try:

Nevermore: their releases :Obsidian Conspiracy and Godless Endeavor I am sure use 7 strings, probably Dead Heart in a Dead World
Trivium: Shogun

abstract

Reaction score
The first song I learned when I got a 7 was Icarus Lives by Periphery (and our very own "electric lightbulb"). :djent:

shogunate

Reaction score
Keith Merrow. Impossible not to like that guy's music. Older Meshuggah before they got their 8 strings, Behemoth, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Fear Factory, Lacuna Coil, Sybreed (They may just use detuned 6s, not sure), Mnemic.

Those are in no discernable order and mainly metal, but that's typically the demographic that plays 7 strings :shrug:

Darren James

Reaction score
^^ Interesting, I never knew that. It's funny because I was just wondering a few days ago how it would be if one used a 7 and the other a 6.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I'll recomend adagio till the day that I die. If you like Vai and JP, I'm sure you will really like the style and phrasing of their guitarist.

Also, have you heard Scar Symmetry?

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
[metacafe]5599592/the_dom_roach_project_alzheimers_charity_gig_set[/metacafe]

This guy uses a seven.

harvested

Reaction score
scale the summit :)
and if you like death metal,try some morbid angel and some cannibal corpse, and some bloodbath, they pley 6s but they downtune it to drop a :)

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's at least 4 threads about recommending 7 string music, please use the search function.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Awake by Dream Theater.

Or Train of Thought...

new2sevenstring

Reaction score
thanks guys, some really good suggestions in here. Merry christmas to everyone...and if you're jewish, i guess enjoy you're chinese food. :hbang:

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
a good 7 string song to learn if you just started on 7s is Down From The Sky by Trivium. Great song and fairly easy.

ballstix

Reaction score
Devin Townsend! Some of his stuff, at least. Also Pain of Salvation's been using 7s lately. Blotted Science is boss, too. And if you dig the whole djent thing I don't think redseasfire has been mentioned, though they don't have any full releases yet. I really dig the new Ihsahn album, although that's 8 string; same difference, right? :D

And +1 to:

Last 4 Nevermore albums
Periphery
Chimp Spanner
Keith Merrow
Some Dream Theater stuff
Downtuning your 7 for Meshuggah

')