Recommend some amps for more vintage metal tones

• Thread starter Seamus McFlanery
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus McFlanery

Reaction score
As much as I love the tones of newer albums and bands I was wondering what are some good amps that get that vintage metal tone. I mean things like old Sabbath, 70s Priest, early Maiden, NWOBHM and early metal bands in general. I assume most of those bands played Marshalls (even the non-british bands?) but I was wondering what newer amps can nail that older tone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I believe that anything that's marshall based, or hotroded marshall + some sort of boost will do the trick...

Reaction score
Hot-rodded marshall, these days, can be a fairly vague term as technically Soldano and 5150 would be hot-rodded marshall circuits.

But in the 80's i think it had a much more specific meaning; customised 100-watt plexis and JCM800s for more gain (extra tube or solid-state gain stages etc.)

Marshall tried to replicate that with the JCM900 and onwards, with varying degrees of success (depending who you talk to).

I guess the more modern marshall equivalent of the modded-marshall sound would be the JVM.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
^truth. A JCM800 (stock or modded really) is what I always think of when someone mentions classic metal and Marshall sounds.

I've spent a fair amount of time with a JVM410H and it can pull off any of those types of sounds, plus good cleans and modern distortion :yesway: super versatile amps. The DSL series are solid for old school rock/metal as well, especially for the money.

tedtan

Reaction score
The early (1970's) metal bands mostly used Marshall plexis or JVMs, often boosted with a Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster Treble Boost (or similar boost or fuzz pedal). Others used Laney (Tony Iommi) and Orange amps, too.

By the early 80's, the Marshall JCM800 and the Ibanez Tube Screamer were the mainstays of most metal guitarists' rigs.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I personally prefer the JCM 2000 DSL of the Marshall bunch.I find it much more versatile than the JCM 800.And the Boss SD-1 somehow likes Marshall..

However i would take an Orange over any Marshall amp for high gain with vintage vibe.I prefer the thickness they have over the Marshall shrill especially when you are boosting with an OD.

wakjob

Reaction score
Friedmans are too expensive of a route for that simple sound. I just sold mine.

The overlooked secret to getting a NON-shrill old Marshall 1987/1959 or 70's JMP era tones is the selection of speaker.

G12-65's work wonders to tame the 'shrill'.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
The overlooked secret to getting a NON-shrill old Marshall 1987/1959 or 70's JMP era tones is the selection of speaker.

G12-65's work wonders to tame the 'shrill'.

+1 JMP MKII is an awesome amp and would give you the sound you`re looking for.
I played a 2204 from 1979 (vertical 2-hole) and wouldn`t mind to own one.

aqa

Reaction score
Blackstar series one el34 delivers more traditional metal tones with a bit of modern sound

Laney could be another brand

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Laney GH 100 + boost ...the most unrated amp
This .... has the vibe and you can achieve the Opeth sound...even a mean old Mastodon drive...and a hair metal Gilbert sound

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Laney GH 100 + boost ...the most unrated amp
This .... has the vibe and you can achieve the Opeth sound...even a mean old Mastodon drive...and a hair metal Gilbert sound

This^

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ceriatone Yeti, King Kong, AFD, Marshall DSL, JVM and VM, Mesa Mark V, and the Friedman Dirty Shirley, Smallbox, and Phil X sig. The Laney GH/VH series can also get pretty vintagy.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Ya was gonna say Laney Gh50's go for pretty cheap. If you can manage a VH100R you would probly be pretty happy.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Oh, and PRS' HXDA is derived from an actual amp used by Hendrix and another amp used by Duane Allman, if there is something between those two, you can probably achieve it.

(I don't actually have one...yet.)

Reaction score
JVM410HJS. Absolutly love mine!

I've heard good things about these tweaked signature jvm's,
In that they fixed a few problems people found with the stock version and really pushed it into killer amp territory :metal:

')