Recommend some budget midi knob/fader device to write automation pls?

Antiphase

Reaction score
I`d like to get one of those devices so I could at least record automation values throughout the song because it`s difficult to use mouse for that. I know many midi keyboards have something like this onboard but I don`t have any. Can`t find anything budget so I thought I would ask, any recommendations are appreciated. USB powered preferrably as the only midi input on my audio device is already used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I use an akai mpk mini. I got it during one of the random gear sales for probably 20% off (I don't remember exactly what I paid). Works well enough. If you don't want the keys, the LPD8 is the top half and half the price. I haven't tried that one. The mpk is usb powered and works fine on windows and android. This assumes you like knobs and not sliders.

Independent of the hardware, make sure your daw will let you convert recorded midi cc events to an automation lane. Usually they are kept separate since midi controls associated with recording are part of the "performance" and automation is part of mixing.

If I were buying something today, I'd probably look at the presonus atom sq. It might be out of your budget for just an automation controller.

')