Recommend some monitoring headphones?

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I've been using a pair of AKG K240 MkIIs for ages and I'm looking to try something a bit more accurate/flat response.
budget is <300$ used or new.

I was looking into getting a pair of sennheiser hd300 pros or something but I'm open to other options so long as they're relatively flat response and have a pretty big range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mullet

Reaction score
Sennheiser HD25

Had mine for over 10 yrs. Spares are easy to find and they are still going strong!!

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
It’s hard to go wrong with Beyer Dynamic DT770s.

They are very coloured in the mids.

Try the beyerdynamic custom studio pro's. Basically DT770 with less of a V shape and better mids

pablometal

Reaction score
this is my opinion but it doesn't matter if they are coloured or not, if you know them really good that's all that matters

for monitoring a pair of m20x will sound really similar to the m50x, they both are kind of flat, at least that's what i see in my sonarworks headphones list.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
this is my opinion but it doesn't matter if they are coloured or not, if you know them really good that's all that matters

for monitoring a pair of m20x will sound really similar to the m50x, they both are kind of flat, at least that's what i see in my sonarworks headphones list.

its just one more thing to be aware of when mixing when that happens, its not a deal breaker but def negative.
Agree with the recommendation for MX<M50

The M40x is better than the M50x

The M50x's are just too forward with no soundstage, too much bass and weird treble in general.

about the Sennheiser Hd300, no reliable reviews out on them yet. If they are good, ill think about getting them. My decade old HD280 has given up at last.

Sogradde

Reaction score
I've had my beyerdynamics 990 pro for two years now I think. I explicitly bought open headphones to eliminate bass build-up and have a more flat response. I think they're doing that pretty well. The only downside I can think of is that they're not isolating because of that, which can be a bit annoying when you have a construction site outside your house or other sources of excessive noise.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
They are very coloured in the mids.

Try the beyerdynamic custom studio pro's. Basically DT770 with less of a V shape and better mids
IIRC, the Custom Studio Pro's are the exact same driver as the 770.

To my ears, the 770 doesn't have colored mids as much as it has accentuated highs. The mids are fairly flat, but there is definitely some extra treble going on, which is good for monitoring to me and sounds good with metal.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I love my Sennheiser HD598s

If I had not purchased those, I would have gone with one of the Beyer sets (770, 880, 990).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
To my ears, the 770 doesn't have colored mids as much as it has accentuated highs. The mids are fairly flat, but there is definitely some extra treble going on, which is good for monitoring to me and sounds good with metal.
This is kind of my impression as well, lots of airy high end and deep, not especually punchy, bass, more than a scooped-sounding midrange.

I actually don't care for how they sound, but I swear by them for mixing because they seem, to my ears, extremely accurate and I have an easier time evaluating even small EQ tweaks on them than on anything else I've used.

That said, for tracking, noise rejection more than fidelity is really your #1 concern here and as a closed back phone they're ok, but they're not really designed to block outside sound from bleeding in (and vice versa).

EDIT - or, are you just looking for something to mix on, rather than monitor while you track? If so, disregard that last part. :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I'm probably going to grab a pair of sennheiser 650s. From what Sonarworks shows it's one of the most neutral sounding headphones.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I'm probably going to grab a pair of sennheiser 650s. From what Sonarworks shows it's one of the most neutral sounding headphones.
I'd consider the 600s if you want to go Sennheiser. Basically the same headphone but more neutral. 650s have a fairly prominent mid bass hump and a bit more treble than the 600s. The added high end does help with imaging and soundstage if you game on them.

You can EQ the 650s to be more neutral. They're both gonna be really comfy and great sounding headphones, can't go wrong.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I'd consider the 600s if you want to go Sennheiser. Basically the same headphone but more neutral. 650s have a fairly prominent mid bass hump and a bit more treble than the 600s. The added high end does help with imaging and soundstage if you game on them.

You can EQ the 650s to be more neutral. They're both gonna be really comfy and great sounding headphones, can't go wrong.
either way, they're both much closer to neutral than my AKGs. :shrug:

Last edited:

Deor

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I made that exact upgrade, from K240II to HD650. Definitely recommended if you are going to use them regularly for listening to music as well. If they are just for studio work the 600s are probably the better option. Don't expect to be able to use them when recording acoustic guitar though, that really doesn't end well!

')