Recommend some pedals for a clean amp rig

• Thread starter cGoEcYk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I have an old school Mesa D180. I mainly use it for bass but it has a guitar channel too. I am kind of wanting to explore its potential for guitar more. This thing is super powerful.. 6x6L6. The way it operates is you run the Master at 10. Talk about headroom. It has a unique voice... very clean and strong, maybe too clean to be a good pedal amp... dunno.

Any ideas what might be good to throw in front in terms of distortion etc? I've always preferred to have a good amp for distortion (my thinking is how is some $50 pedal going to sound as good as say... a Recto). I am not sure where to start. I want to start small with some simple experiments. What do you guys recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
Not much of a pedals guy but look at the Suhr Riot or Bogner Ecstasy Red.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Bogner Red/Uber, maybe an OD in front of one of those. The AMT pedals also get a lot of love around here.

Definitely a gate for running it with heavy distortion, because I'm captain obvious like that :lol:

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
Grab yourself a tubescreamer and go from there! It's more of a boost than distortion but a little bit goes a long way. adds a ton of sustain

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
You need to check out the AMT legend series of pedals. I have the P2, and if you listened to it blindfolded you would think you were listening to a real 5150.

benduncan

Reaction score
I second the Bogner pedals. I'm not an pedal guru, but they're the most amp like OD pedals I've used

iplayibanezrg

Reaction score
+1 for the Suhr Riot. Its very versatile and sounds great. I use it as my primary distortion with my band and I'm always getting compliments on my tone.

danresn

Reaction score
AMT or Bogner. You can't go wrong

I've haven't really got any experience with Suhr distortion pedals but I can't imagine them putting out anything bad.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
my AMT E1 is balls. a boost pedal as well certainly won't hurt but i'm amazed by how great my tiny rig sounds: a 5w tube amp with the AMT on the front.

')