Recommend to me the weirdest band

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Brain Tentacles maybe? Very Zappian.
I like weird, but not weird for the sake of being weird.

grigou

Reaction score
Well, not really a band, but Buckethead is the most weirdest musical artist in the world !

mikah912

Reaction score
Wow...surprised this got this far with no mention of Pryapisme - French goofballs that blend chiptunes, jazz, world music, death metal, random samples and circus music.

Think of it as a modern instrumental spin on the Mr. Bungle recipe.

Start with their latest, Diabolicus Felinae Pandemonium.

wankerness

Reaction score
Man, some of these bands mentioned are pretty conventional in terms of coherent song structures, predictable tonality, etc. Their looks are weird in many cases. Deerhoof is actually quite popular with hipsters and has gotten progressively less weird over the years. Milk Man was probably their high point of strangeness. They've become an actual good band since then. They're kind of the safe version of Melt Banana.

Dir En Grey has some really great material, and a listen to the albums really isn't that strange. Especially the likes of Kisou and Oroborous (despite the presence of a couple tracks like Domestic Fucker Family). Good band! Weird videos, though, I'll give you that.

Mr Bungle's "Disco Volante" has some pretty weird material on it, particularly the likes of "Violenza Domestica," though that one's...narrative. Mike Patton's "Adult Themes for Voice" was a good submission. Fantomas also has some strange releases. I think the first and third are the best (IIRC they were trying to represent comic panels). Most of these are kind of a successor to John Zorn's Naked City material, which was just trying to be as abrasive as possible.

Regardless of weirdness level, Mr Bungle - California is one of the best albums of all time. It genre hops like mad, though a few of the songs are straightforward genre recreations all the way through. It's brilliant. "Ars Moriendi" is likely the high point of strange, also the high point of awesome.

Bjork would be described as weird by most "normal" people, that's for sure, but she's so popular and I've listened to her for so long that I guess I'm fairly immune. Medulla would probably be the high point of weirdness. It's created entirely with (oft-manipulated) vocals. It's also probably my favorite album by her. The weirdest tracks might be "Where is the Line" and "Ancestors." It has some really catchy pop songs on it, too, but they're still quite odd sonically if you break them down. Ex, "Triumph of a Heart" and "Who Is It."

')