Recommend to me the weirdest band

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, some of these bands mentioned are pretty conventional in terms of coherent song structures, predictable tonality, etc. Their looks are weird in many cases. Deerhoof is actually quite popular with hipsters and has gotten progressively less weird over the years. Milk Man was probably their high point of strangeness. They've become an actual good band since then. They're kind of the safe version of Melt Banana.

Dir En Grey has some really great material, and a listen to the albums really isn't that strange. Especially the likes of Kisou and Oroborous (despite the presence of a couple tracks like Domestic Fucker Family). Good band! Weird videos, though, I'll give you that.

Mr Bungle's "Disco Volante" has some pretty weird material on it, particularly the likes of "Violenza Domestica," though that one's...narrative. Mike Patton's "Adult Themes for Voice" was a good submission. Fantomas also has some strange releases. I think the first and third are the best (IIRC they were trying to represent comic panels). Most of these are kind of a successor to John Zorn's Naked City material, which was just trying to be as abrasive as possible.

Regardless of weirdness level, Mr Bungle - California is one of the best albums of all time. It genre hops like mad, though a few of the songs are straightforward genre recreations all the way through. It's brilliant. "Ars Moriendi" is likely the high point of strange, also the high point of awesome.

Bjork would be described as weird by most "normal" people, that's for sure, but she's so popular and I've listened to her for so long that I guess I'm fairly immune. Medulla would probably be the high point of weirdness. It's created entirely with (oft-manipulated) vocals. It's also probably my favorite album by her. The weirdest tracks might be "Where is the Line" and "Ancestors." It has some really catchy pop songs on it, too, but they're still quite odd sonically if you break them down. Ex, "Triumph of a Heart" and "Who Is It."

I love weird bands. Mr. Bungle is one of my favourites from the 90's era. I think some of these bands are pretty weird, too, but maybe my bar for weird is pretty high. When I posted this thread, I had not thought at all about bands that look weird but play mostly normal material.

If you guys haven't heard of Winny Puhh, I think they sound pretty weird, but their image is definitely weird:

Maybe this was weirder 5 years ago than it is today, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
oooo what about Swans!

^I can't listen at work but isn't this the track with all the weird laughing and gibberish?

Last edited:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of great stuff... I'll just throw We Butter the Bread with Butter out there.

Also... some Freak Kitchen!

zappatton2

Reaction score
Song stars at 2min.
Man, I remember when I was in high school, they started an all-school assembly with a showing of the Fish Heads video. It literally made no sense of any kind. Both the video itself, and the context of playing it for the whole school for no reason. That was over a quarter century ago now, but it still pops into my mind with a profoundly unsettling regularity.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Totally different from my last post, but here's a non-musician who coached a bunch of pros in the 60's to make something unintentionally hyper-progressive. They supposedly had to rehearse for an extremely long time to be able to play this stuff. Plenty of analyses on these songs are out there.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Totally different from my last post, but here's a non-musician who coached a bunch of pros in the 60's to make something unintentionally hyper-progressive. They supposedly had to rehearse for an extremely long time to be able to play this stuff. Plenty of analyses on these songs are out there.

Lol it seems we have the same taste in weird music. I posted this album on the last page, and just came back to post Brojob

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol it seems we have the same taste in weird music. I posted this album on the last page, and just came back to post Brojob
Ah, I totally missed it! Thought I control+F'd every page. Haha maybe we should hang out sometime.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Anyone can be weird, but Zappa's music was immensely weird and musical at the same time.

justin_time

has terrible gear
Reaction score
If you are interested in the metal avant-garde kind of stuff, quite a few bands on The End records including this.

')