Recommendations for Studio Monitors?

• Thread starter Anquished
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've begun the process of kitting out my study with the intention of recording stuff and wondered if anyone would be able to help. This is a complete newbie set up so really I'm after some "starter" studio monitors, I guess? Price range is maybe £200-£250 per monitor? I may be able to stretch a little further if it's worth it.

Cheers.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Rokits (two monitors and a sub). I'm sure they aren't good enough for many of the other cats on here, but I give them my recommendation. Solidly built, easy to use/control EQ/control volume, look decent...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
Yamaha hs7s all day long at that price. I just got a SET second hand (still sealed in the boxes) for £200. There are other good deals out there on sets as well. Outstanding monitors depending on your room size you may be better with smaller or larger cones but the hs series is the way to go.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not sure what your options are in the UK for your price range, but I'd strongly prioritize anything with an 8" driver. Lower extension or lack thereof) and ability to reproduce low end is going to be the biggest issue in this area, and I'd take almost anything with a full size driver vs a 6.5" that's ostentatiously more "high end."

I have a pair of what are now the Yamaha HS8s, and they're great - very detailed high end. That said, I'm in an untreated room and proper bass trapping would do worlds for my monitor chain, so if you can swing it down the road and have a dedicated space, bass trapping would be the next thing I'd look at.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
At that range I can think of 3 pairs that I've had which you may like for a newbie setup.

Yamaha HS's are going to have the flattest EQ so they're great for mixing. I had a pair of HS5's a few years ago and found them unforgiving in terms of how clearly you notice small mistakes you may have made during recording, which can be a good thing in the long run of course depending on your own resilience. Since you're just starting out you might as well dive deep so I'd go for those. As the saying goes, if you're gonna walk on ice you might as well dance.

At that price, i also had a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501A's for a couple of years and they were fairly decent too. My mixes took a few more tries before they sounded decent compared to the HS's but I'm not gonna blame the monitors before I blame my own ineptitude.

Currently happy with my KRK Rokkit 5's, can't recommend them enough. They are a bit bass heavy, but that's alright it's just a matter of anticipating that extra bass ahead of time in your mix.

Whichever way you decide to go, treat your room (i.e. bass traps) and you'll maximize the effectiveness of whichever monitors you choose.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Seems the Yamaha HS series is getting a lot of thumbs up, I'll definitely be checking those out.

I'll also look into bass traps.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Yamaha HS

JBL LSR

Focal Alpha

Kali Audio LP

in no particular order.

wakjob

Reaction score
Pony up a little more and step into some nice 'Adam' monitors.

I love my A3X set.
They are also the first monitors that sounded amazing with digital modeling. No more fizzy highs. Brilliant midrange. I personally don't need more bass, but some might like to add a sub somewhere down the line.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
when I get the music stuff for my new PC (interface, etc) I want a 2.1 system

Gmork

Reaction score
Congrats!
How's the low end on them? Do you think it's deep enough?
Like others have mentioned they are very flat but thats what you want. And for just listening to music they sound FANTASTIC! so to answer you YES i believe they do have enough lowend. I think theyre perfect. Also got the audio technica ath-m50x monitoring headphones which are awesome.. incase youre wondering about headphones as well

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Pony up a little more and step into some nice 'Adam' monitors.

I love my A3X set.
They are also the first monitors that sounded amazing with digital modeling. No more fizzy highs. Brilliant midrange. I personally don't need more bass, but some might like to add a sub somewhere down the line.

Funnily enough I think it was those Adams I was recommended the other day, I'll definitely take a look when payday rolls round.

Like others have mentioned they are very flat but thats what you want. And for just listening to music they sound FANTASTIC! so to answer you YES i believe they do have enough lowend. I think theyre perfect. Also got the audio technica ath-m50x monitoring headphones which are awesome.. incase youre wondering about headphones as well

Headphones will probably be my next purchase after the monitors, cheers for the recommendation man.

Rynphos

Reaction score
Since no one seems to have mentioned it, you might want to also take a look at the new Adam T series. I personally got the T5V and I'm happy about it. The T7V sits within your budget.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
My Presonus serves me well, it does the job. I was also considering Mackie's CR series because of the value.

Good luck!

lewis

Reaction score
Yamaha hs7s all day long at that price. I just got a SET second hand (still sealed in the boxes) for £200. There are other good deals out there on sets as well. Outstanding monitors depending on your room size you may be better with smaller or larger cones but the hs series is the way to go.
I got a second hand set of these in good condition (without boxes and one had a brand new cone from Yamaha) for £30 :O

They sound amazing. I love them and what a deal.