Recommendations for Theory?

• Thread starter super_guitar_man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
1. Research "Ear training and Interval recognition, relative pitch excercises".

There's some software somewhere on the internet that plays a root note, then another not from the scale. You have to guess what the second note's interval is. Brilliant excercise. Critical!!!! I.E. I play C then E, you say Major 3rd. etc. etc.

2. Practice the major scale, saying 1st 2nd major 3rd 4th 5th 6th major 7th out loud as you play. Once you get that language down, modes and the rest of it make sense, at last! It saves all that mindless repetitive practice, by understanding that they're all just the major scale STARTING ON A DIFFERENT NOTE, you really save a lot of time.

3. Listen to some prog....

To-Mera - NEW T-SHIRTS at www.to-mera.com | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
About 3 minutes in, the excercise I wrote before.... Moved around a "bit"...

Classical, what a load of uber shred nonsense.... Pure 16ths... NO RYTHMN!!!

That's why there are no black composers....*lol will I get banned for that...?*

Don't let the video play past 5 minutes, he plays it fast and it hurts my brain. I bet his neighbours paid for soundproofing his "woodshed".

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
Go to a used shop and get yourself a cheap ass keyboard. It helps tremendously when you try to get into more composing and things other than basic triads, etc.

Just helps lay it out in my mind I guess - but I started music playing piano so I may be biased! Many universities will require you to take basic keyboard classes when following their curriculum so it definately seems to have a tendency to be helpful no matter what instrument you normally play.

Facebones

Reaction score
It's kinda annoying that so many people are saying Guitar Grimoire but not specifying which one of the MANY books would be best for their situation. :noplease:

Vidge

Reaction score
Go to a used shop and get yourself a cheap ass keyboard. It helps tremendously when you try to get into more composing and things other than basic triads, etc.

Just helps lay it out in my mind I guess - but I started music playing piano so I may be biased! Many universities will require you to take basic keyboard classes when following their curriculum so it definately seems to have a tendency to be helpful no matter what instrument you normally play.

This is actually a really good point. When you think about it, one of the toughest things about stringed instruments is that there are almost too many options! Think of all the possible C major chord variations on the neck for example. So you spend so much time on the guitar just trying to get comfortable with the neck and all the scale/chord variations.

Overall point, is that I think that learning some piano, than transitioning to guitar will help you not get stuck in the world of patterns, but youll actually focus on the notes, and overall song composition will be much easier.

Idk... for me, some of my favorite songwriter/guitarist are fluent with the piano; and I like to believe they are better songwriters because of the piano.

')