Recommendations

• Thread starter Prog_Freak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a duplicate post, I tried doing a search on variations of what would be a good production 7 string to get for a 2nd 7 string, and nothing came up so please bear with me.
right now I own a JP70 Sterling and am taking advice on a 2nd 7 string. My Budget/Price range is around $850.00 not including case.
I'm looking to get something besides Flat Black as a color, and after checking Guitar Centers pages,, it doesn't seem that I have very many options in that regard.
I'd also like to avoid active PUs since dragging around a 1SPot adapter looks pretty lame (LOL) and putting in $5.00 batteries isn't very appealing either.
Yeah I'm probably asking for Mission Impossible, but I thought I'd ask people who have way more experience than I do. (Which isn't a whole hell'uva lot in my case).:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Do you have anything else spec wise you are looking for?

You should check out the PRS SE Custom 24-7 strings. They have different colors and come with passive pickups. The scale length is a bit short at 25" but I don't find it to be a problem at all. The price of one is around $730 and comes with a nice gigbag.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Check out the Schecter Blackjack/Blackjack SLS, Stealth C7 (for cheaper) and the Banshee 7 Passive.

stevexc

Reaction score
ESP AW7 and ZH7 are pretty close to $850. BS7 should be as well but I'm not finding it anywhere, it may have been discontinued without me noticing. I wouldn't entirely discount active pickups, though - keeping one spare 9v in a case isn't difficult, and you get a few hundred hours out of one. It's not a "replace before every show" type deal.

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
I think I saw a used Schecter KM7 for 800, so that might be up your alley as it isn't just black and has passive nazgul/sentient. Also, if you're ok with Ibanez, then look for an RG7421 in white. The pickups might be lacking though since it is a budget-ish guitar. I also think there is some purplish MIJ RG7421/RG7621 before, so look for those too.

EDIT: Those Ibanez Premium RG927QM with quilted maple tops look good too.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Not black and no actives covers a decent amount of guitars, but it'd be helpful to know what you're playing and what you'd like to achieve with it.

A good not black passive 7 to me at under $800 is the KM-7 from Schecter. Ebony board, USA Hipshot, SS frets, Nazgul/Sentient set, Luminlay side dots, satin finish neck, locking tuners. Comes in white. Snag eet.

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
Do you have anything else spec wise you are looking for?

You should check out the PRS SE Custom 24-7 strings. They have different colors and come with passive pickups. The scale length is a bit short at 25" but I don't find it to be a problem at all. The price of one is around $730 and comes with a nice gigbag.

Not being Black and Pasisve PU's are really just the ONLY specs. I'm not paticular on scale length and stuff like that.
Right now I'm kinda torn between a couple guitars, buying another MM Sterling JP 70 (Purple) or a Ibanez RG7421PB with a fixed bridge and the color options are really cool. The only other 7 string in the running is a PRS SE Custom 24 7-string that you've recommended.:shred:

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
Not black and no actives covers a decent amount of guitars, but it'd be helpful to know what you're playing and what you'd like to achieve with it.

A good not black passive 7 to me at under $800 is the KM-7 from Schecter. Ebony board, USA Hipshot, SS frets, Nazgul/Sentient set, Luminlay side dots, satin finish neck, locking tuners. Comes in white. Snag eet.

Those requirements really eliminate a very large amount of guitars. LOL
Musically I'm kind of wandering around from Progressive Metal, something that I refer to as "Melodic Metal" (categorize probably non-existent) it's very low key Melodic Death Metal where it isn't so doom and gloom, but has quiet a lot of features of that genre than any other genre. Last is Neo- Classical Metal as far as rock is concerned. Other stuff that I end up playing is Jazz (Mainly Al DiMeola early stuff) or "Contemporary Jazz" hence the need for something more colorful than basic Black (Pretty schizophrenic choice of styles LOL).
I'll have to research the KM-7 Schecter guitar also with a couple other options.

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
Yeah, besides "not black".

And heyo, what's wrong with black?

I got the purple PRS SE 7, myself.

Here's some more (Agile, non-black).

There's nothing absolutely life or death about Black, it's just I own 3 Black guitars already, the only guitars I own that are NON Black are a MM, Sterling, JP100 (Pacifica Blue Burst), and a PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow body (Ruby Red Burst).
Also there are some really wicked color & pattern combinations out there, that just look much more appealing than basic Black.

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
ESP AW7 and ZH7 are pretty close to $850. BS7 should be as well but I'm not finding it anywhere, it may have been discontinued without me noticing. I wouldn't entirely discount active pickups, though - keeping one spare 9v in a case isn't difficult, and you get a few hundred hours out of one. It's not a "replace before every show" type deal.
I'm really horrible at replacing the 9V in my Ovation Acoustic guitar so I'd probably do exactly the same thing with another active PUs set LOL.
I'm probably going to narrow down the Passive Pus choices then look at Active. I'm just focusing on one item at a time.

Fear

Reaction score
I think the PRS SE Custom 24 7 is a great guitar for the money. Hell, even the lower priced SEs are great for what you pay. My friend bought a slightly blemished Tremonti SE and it plays great and looks good too. I'm amazed at what PRS can do in the sub 1000 price range. However, I would go with the Schecter KM model though as it uses the highest quality components out of any of the guitars mentioned.

')