Recommended 8 string Bands? (besides meshuggah)

• Thread starter TridentChaos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Meshuggah. :cool:

...and I'm gonna mention Mnemic here. Granted, they tune down to F# on sevens, they're one of the few bands that use low tunings in anger, crafting whole songs around the low string... as opposed to a sprinkling here & there, or "It's time to drop to the low string for the breakdown". :yesway:

I'm also going to mention a 7-string band that plays with a very low tuning...it basically sounds like they're rocking 8-stringers:

STRUCTURES (my avatar :)) they rock hard, man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DANiMALxMD

Reaction score
im going to throw down my music as well. its all instrumental and 8 strings. www.dandankmeyer.bandcamp.com Also +1 to whoever mentioned Mnemic, diesel uterus rules. and also, freaking GWAR uses 8's now. i saw them on jimmy fallon, and i was like wtf gwar uses 8's? i know the audio is low, but you can still see it. ESP.

Guitarman700

Reaction score
ummm...any source? i've seen them live twice in the last two months and they played 6string guitar both times..low, yes but no 7 or 8 strings near the stage when they were on...
DL said in an interview in Decibel magazine that the whole album was done on 8's.
They tune UP though, to drop F#, I believe.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
ummm...any source? i've seen them live twice in the last two months and they played 6string guitar both times..low, yes but no 7 or 8 strings near the stage when they were on...
There was no 7-string usage by them, actually. They transitioned directly from 6 to 8. The new album is definitely in Drop F#.

Reaction score

they play 6-strings live cause they still have like three other albums of material that's tuned to drop a or G# or whatever it is.

Reaction score
Cheers for the suggestions guys!

I went with periphery and animals as leaders to start, i was blown away
by periphery its a really good album, so solid and tight, misha mansoor
in incredible i have to look up more of his stuff, animals as leaders was
terrific, im less into the REALLY heavy deathcore stuff, but i think an after the burial album is next :shred:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Divine Heresy
Fear Factory
El Scar
Dead By April
Defect Noises (Also uses a 10 string)
Monuments
M.A.N (Massive Audio Nerve)
Interlock (USed 7 strings, but tuned pretty damn low from the sounds of it)
Less Than Three
Metalien
Nociceptor (Believe I heard that 8 strings will be on the new album)

We should have a sticky thread recommending bands that use 8 strings, or tunings lower than F#. We get a lot of people come in asking for 8 string bands and that would make it easier. Something in the vein of Demoniac's Industrial thread.

')