Recommended Classical Repertoire for Legato?

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Working on my left hand more recently (I haven't worked on legato in years) and wanted to get some classical pieces as practice repertoire since they usually encourage me to be more precise and it also gives me an opportunity for some harmonic analysis outside of jazz. I found Bach's Prelude in D Major was very helpful for my alternate picking and I'd like to find a similar piece (in motion, not necessarily tonally) but more suited for legato playing. I've tried playing Prelude in D Major Legato, it's doable but not really the workout I was looking for.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Dunno about workout, but Bach's easier pieces (Minuets in G and Dm and also the Bouree) are easy and fun to play legato (in first position, to boot).

They're probably too easy for you, though. What about the Toccata and Fugue? I guess that can be done legato, too.

redstone

Reaction score
Try Wieniawski op 18 n°3 , seems legato/tap friendly.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Winter from Four Seasons by Vivaldi - It's mega tough to do with all hammer legato, and also demands a lot of classical-style vibrato (pushing string side to side rather than blues-esque upward/downward pulls) to replicate the violin playing but it's a great one to get down.

')