Recommended reading for guitarists!

• Thread starter JLP2005
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
From shred to jazz to CHICKIN' PICKIN',

Are there any recommended books that you guys swear by? I've been itching to pull the trigger on this and I was wondering--

What readings, if any, do you guys recommend? Any DVD set that you really enjoyed that enhanced your playing? Let's hear it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
This isn't an instructional book but it is an amazing read for ANY musician. Can't recommend it enough!

victor-wooten1.jpg

The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music: Victor L. Wooten: 9780425220931: Amazon.com: Books

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
This isn't an instructional book but it is an amazing read for ANY musician. Can't recommend it enough!

You know, I saw a lesson he was giving on the Youtubes yesterday and was very impressed with how he spoke to his students. The particular episode was 'finding the pulse' of a piece of music and keeping it inherently. I'll link it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Definitely this! Brilliant read. Such an eye opener, regardless of your chosen instrument.

I bought the audiobook, narrated by the Woots himself. And he's got little bass diddles in the background. Enjoying it very, very much thus far.

JazzandMetal

Reaction score
I have the guitar aerobics book. It will give you the basics of several different styles, some rhythms and some leads. There is more rock/blues than anything, but there is plenty of metal, country, reggae and jazz in it as well.

I have progressed more just trying to play songs in whatever style, but it is a good lick book if you stick with it.

A book I would recommend more than that one is speed mechanics for lead guitar by Troy Stetina. Amazing book. He breaks down the technique to play fast and clean for lead. I am sure his rhythm books rock as well. I also his big sclae book and it is top notch.

Krah13

Reaction score
From shred to jazz to CHICKIN' PICKIN',

Are there any recommended books that you guys swear by? I've been itching to pull the trigger on this and I was wondering--

What readings, if any, do you guys recommend? Any DVD set that you really enjoyed that enhanced your playing? Let's hear it!

The Advancing Guitarist, maybe the best guitar book written ever.

ayaotd

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good book recommendations on music theory in general?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got Guthrie Govans Creative Guitar 1, and I would recommend this to anyone who's ever even touched a guitar.

Reaction score
Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner is a fantastic book.

Kenny is actually a pianist, but it's a great book for any musician. Not necessarily a "practice" kind of book, but I believe it allows you to look at developing your skills in a different way that makes your practice more effective, and will pretty much makes your overall musicianship a lot better.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner is a fantastic book.

I found this book in a bag of free books outside a tiny bookstore when I was wandering around town between classes a few years back. Fantastic book, no matter what your instrument.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Werner's advice is poignant no matter field you are in. He really breaks down some keys points of the fear-based culture we are raised and live in.

')