Recorded a demo (brutal/tech death content inside!)

• Thread starter Sanzen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
Hi all - just wanted to see if you guys had any advice regarding mixing this thing - every time I sit down, 5 minutes later every fader is at +10. :rolleyes: The playing is sloppy, but this is more for me to A) show the other guys in the band and B)fuck around with recording than anything else.

Drums are EZDrummer DFH, programmed in Cubase, then pulled into Pro Tools LE.

Guitars/basses were recorded direct - Jackson SLSMG through a Line6 Spider II, Warwick thumb bolt-on direct into the Mbox2 Mini.

I recorded 2 guitar tracks, panned them hard left and right, then copied those onto 2 other tracks and panned them both around...75% I think?

Anyway, I hate the fucking guitar tone! Any tips right off the top?

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate anyone taking time to listen to this. :yesway:

EDIT: Whoops! turns out Soundclick doesn't like 44khz encoding. This one works: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7280175

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, something seems to have gone really wrong with the export, the MP3 conversion, or the Soundclick upload.

Reaction score
pretty awesome. sounds like Cannibal Corpse. The tone and writing. I guess ur a fan :) Yeah, I would also change the EQ a bit on the guitars and all to make them more up front, but if u are going for a CC mix, i think you nailed it.

Hey, I found my soundclick uploads don't work unless at 44.1k

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate it!

I would buy a cd and watch you in concert.

And I will party with you afterwards! Thanks dude.

Cool stuff, but your tone doesn't seem defined enough. Maybe moar mids? Hella cool music though :hbang:

A lot of that is probably the medium I'm recording through - the Spider II's headphone out is not exactly a POD, haha! The tone sounds really middy to me as is - do you think it's too scooped?

pretty awesome. sounds like Cannibal Corpse. The tone and writing. I guess ur a fan :) Yeah, I would also change the EQ a bit on the guitars and all to make them more up front, but if u are going for a CC mix, i think you nailed it.

Hey, I found my soundclick uploads don't work unless at 44.1k

The mix is very drum heavy! Probably a combination of a) the guitars don't sound great and b) I spent WAAAY more time programming the drums. And yeah, soundclick hates anything over 44.1k...

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
At first I thought it sounded scooped, but I think it might just be that everything is buried so far under the drums. Not too bad, though.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Mix sounds great! When are you adding vocals?

I checked out your myspace pages too... brutal stuff. I especially liked BN.

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
I found it to be pretty scooped, but maybe thats just me. :shrug:

I actually boost my mids usually, but I agree dude. my main problem with this mix is the guitar, and unfortunately, there's a fine line between boosting mids to cut through and making it sound like garbage!

Keep in mind there's 4 guitar tracks on here, 2 of which are double-tracked copies of the original R and L tracks. Is there just too much gain involved?

At first I thought it sounded scooped, but I think it might just be that everything is buried so far under the drums. Not too bad, though.

Thanks man! I started playing drums when I was 8 and now I'm starting to think that I like drums more than everyone else haha! You're completely right - but if I nail a sick guitar tone I'd feel more comfortable reeling the drums in.

Mix sounds great! When are you adding vocals?

I checked out your myspace pages too... brutal stuff. I especially liked BN.

I'm adding vocals...whenever we record the new CD! This is a song I put together myself, but it will probably end up with Atrocious Abnormality in some form. Glad you liked BN bro! Thanks!

Slampop

Artist/Producer: IDOLER
Reaction score
i can definitely here CC...but it reminds me more of Cryptopsy...eh, either way, it's pretty bad ass!!! :metal:

Reaction score
Nice song, bad mix IMO. Everything is too boxy and loud and just doesn't really sit well.

The song itself is brutalz as hell!

Reaction score
I actually boost my mids usually, but I agree dude. my main problem with this mix is the guitar, and unfortunately, there's a fine line between boosting mids to cut through and making it sound like garbage!

Keep in mind there's 4 guitar tracks on here, 2 of which are double-tracked copies of the original R and L tracks. Is there just too much gain involved?

Honestly, you probably know much better than me :lol:

')