Recorded a song and used it to generate mathematical patterns

Reaction score
I fed my music into some mathematical equations and got some cool patterns.

For those interested, the equations I used were Gray Scott reaction-diffusion equations. They take the following form:

formula3.gif

I wrote a program with the equations above to generate evolving patterns that depend on the dynamics of a musical piece.

In other words, my music file alters the parameters of these equations over time, and this gives rise to interesting visuals that are in sync with the music. I then overlaid some video footage with the generated visuals to create a music video.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting.

I can't access yourube videos here, so maybe you explain in the video, but what sort of boundary values are you using, and how does the music parse into the variables of the forumla?

Are you using FEA?

Reaction score
Interesting.

I can't access yourube videos here, so maybe you explain in the video, but what sort of boundary values are you using, and how does the music parse into the variables of the forumla?

Are you using FEA?

I am using periodic boundary conditions. In addition to the reaction-diffusion equations, there are randomly moving particles that act as chemical sources. The music's drum levels are threshholded to change the feed rate (f) and movement of stochastic particles. Integration is done via good ol' forward Euler's method on a grid composed of squares.