Recorded the 6505+ from the speaker out

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Recording from the speaker out allows you to get the sound of the power section. That includes color, power amp gain and the sound of the resonance and presence controls.

I had read where some people were doing this, but I couldn't figure out what I needed. I was having trouble finding info about it on the internet. I was randomly looking at direc boxes and read a description of one and it said it could do just that. It turns out there was one here. It's an ART "Z direct".
ART Zdirect Professional Passive DI Box | Parts-Express.com

The tone in the clip is super raw. There was no boost and the guitar is in Ab. It has a more saggy sound than I'm accustomed to. I'll return to the boost soon after I get done experimenting, because I'm not digging the sound without it in a tuning this low. The bass was simply plugged into the guitar rig and recorded the same way. The impulse is one of the Catharsis impulses by Ryan Harvey.

Your thoughts on the tone are appreciated, even though I don't care for it haha.

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/AxonSoundworks'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=9527627&scid=9527627&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
So you recorded direct out using the speaker outs? Or did you use that direct box?

If you dont attatch a speaker load or hot plate cant you damage the 6505+?

Edit.... and that clip was badass! want to play in my band? lol I am serious, but i know we are a bit to far apart.

Andii

Reaction score
Sounds pretty huge. I kinda like it. ARe there any speaker impulses on this?

Yes or else it would be a fizzy mess. The details are in the OP.

So you recorded direct out using the speaker outs? Or did you use that direct box?

If you dont attatch a speaker load or hot plate cant you damage the 6505+?
I had a cab connected to one speaker out and the direct box connected to the other.

You can't run the amp without a load. I forgot to mention that in my post.

Reaction score
So like this?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 47

B36arin

Reaction score
Dude, be careful with that... The power coming from the speaker out from the amp can easily fry your interface.

Andii

Reaction score
So like this?

Yeah... I guess so I can't tell what that m s and check and x means though.:lol:
A speaker cab was connected to one speaker output on the amp and the direct box on the other speaker out on the amp. I connected the DI with a speaker cable. An XLR goes from the DI to the interface.

Dude, be careful with that... The power coming from the speaker out from the amp can easily fry your interface.
That's what the DI box is for. It's made for that. The signal that passes through is line level.

Reaction score
Yeah... I guess so I can't tell what that m s and check and x means though.:lol:
A speaker cab was connected to one speaker output on the amp and the direct box on the other speaker out on the amp. I connected the DI with a speaker cable. An XLR goes from the DI to the interface.

That's what the DI box is for. It's made for that. The signal that passes through is line level.

Means running in mono. :lol:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes or else it would be a fizzy mess. The details are in the OP.

I had a cab connected to one speaker out and the direct box connected to the other.

You can't run the amp without a load. I forgot to mention that in my post.

Wow i read that whole OP twice and didn't see that line. Fuck im stupid. :lol:

Scarpie

Reaction score
That's actually a really impressive recording! It is a very saggy as you mentioned, but the tone itself was great!! tightened up and that'll be one sick guitar sound!!!

Andii

Reaction score
I figured out one thing I did wrong on that clip.

I was running some presence and resonance. That was a mistake because these particular impulses were made with presence and resonance from the power section of a 5150 turned to the appropriate positions.

I'm going back to an OD in front with no resonance or presence turned up on the amp. That's why I wasn't finding a balanced tone with the boost, because everything was wrong thanks to double the res and pres it should have been.:lol:

Getting the signal off of the power section is definitely the best way to go. The next tests I do should be far better than this.

I guess this is another learn from Andii's mistake thread.

Auyard

Reaction score
Could you run through everything? Like guitar/pickups and settings on the 6505? That was badass.

Andii

Reaction score
I updated the file in the OP with a quicker not as exciting clip that was recorded with the resonance and presence all the way down and a TS9 in front. Also the drums are improved. It's a super boring clip, but it shows what the setup actually sounds like haha.

The tone is far better now.

There is still a lot of adjusting and tweaking to do before it's the sound I'm looking for, but it's closer than ever. I'll probably go back out there and get what I want in a little while.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT THAT SOUDNED SWEET!!!!
Sorry bout the caps, but I really do think of it that way.

Maybe you could switch the TS on and off so you could go from "tight" to "loose" in different parts of songs.
It would certainly add some variety.

Andii

Reaction score
Now that I have internet again I can reply. Lightning hit the house and my interface is now dead along with all the ethernet connectivity of every computer in the house except for this netbook. :squint:

So that's it for recording until I get a new interface.

I do have a pod though :lol:.

I'm going to be mixing and mastering the work I have on my plate using the pod as my interface for monitoring.

Could you run through everything? Like guitar/pickups and settings on the 6505? That was badass.
Bass on 10
mid on 2 1/2
treble on 7

The TS9 has the gain barely on the tone is at 1 oclock and the level is cranked.

In the updated clip the res and pres are on 0 because the shaping from them is already on the impulse.

The pickup is a Dimarzio Dsonic with the bar facing the bridge. There is no tone control or caps in the circuit. The volume knob is 500k. The guitar is a basswood Music Man JP6. Ernie Ball not even slinky string set.

All_¥our_Bass;2102603 said:
HOLY SHIT THAT SOUDNED SWEET!!!!
Sorry bout the caps, but I really do think of it that way.

Maybe you could switch the TS on and off so you could go from "tight" to "loose" in different parts of songs.
It would certainly add some variety.

Thanks. Switching back and forth would be a little too drastic because the change is a little too drastic haha. It goes from percussive and saggy and murky to clear, fluid and percussive.

I think the tone with the TS is way better.

gavoja

Reaction score
Sounds OK to me, but not worth the hassle. Maybe it's because it lacks the body (you've put a "smile" on the EQ by scooping mids :p). I know this is a raw mix, but still, you can get way better sound out of POD or VSTs.

The whole idea however is pretty nifty :].

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
^ Scooping "works" though, on 5150/6505's because they inherently have >9,000 mids to begin with, you can set the knob to zero and it'll still work, whilst most other amps will be awful, thin, fizzy muddy, crap at that point.

Latest posts