Recording 10,000 Days article

• Thread starter Bartok
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
Honestly, if Tool were to do another album, I kind of hope that they record it as a single track. Or, if they DO break it down into tracks, then I hope it's a steady stream of sound from track to track, with very little that can be broken down into "songs" as such. It's the direction they seem to be heading in, and I'd love to see them embrace it entirely.

That's an interesting idea. However, I think one hour-long track would be too much. Most listeners would probably just use seeking anyway.
Perhaps splitting it up into several 15-20 minute parts would work better. I'm not aware of any band that has done this, but a band like Tool should surely be able to pull it off.

Though they're also still amazing at writing killer songs ("Right In Two" almost completely smokes anything they've done previously as far as brilliant songwriting, IMHO).

Wow, I never thought anyone would actually say anything good about that song. It's one of my least favorite Tool songs ever.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd put 10,000 Days after AEnima, myself, but in general I agree.

The thing with this album, though, is you can;t think of it in terms of individual tracks. Think of it as 75 minutes of music that ebbs and flows rather than as a collection of songs, and it makes a lot more sense.

Honestly, if Tool were to do another album, I kind of hope that they record it as a single track. Or, if they DO break it down into tracks, then I hope it's a steady stream of sound from track to track, with very little that can be broken down into "songs" as such. It's the direction they seem to be heading in, and I'd love to see them embrace it entirely.

ya, you are probably right. id take it one step further tho. i say they'd be better off just making a real damn concept album instead of just dancing around it like sissies :D

atm and til further headbanging, apc is hotter than tool. :yesway:

Bartok

Reaction score
Wow, I never thought anyone would actually say anything good about that song. It's one of my least favorite Tool songs ever.

I think it's a beast! My favorite song on the album. Personally I think the Tool albums run chronologically in goodness :)

Bartok

Reaction score
Yeah do it, I've liked it since it came out but it's only lately it's been my fav Tool record. I am more of an improv/jazz kind of guy though and the soundscapey tracks remind me of a lot of modern fusion and free improv stuff I listen to. Not that I don't love metal an' all, it's just free stuff really does it for me :yesway:. And yes, I have been drinking this evening.:)

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
i guess im the only one here who thought the prodcution was horrid on that album eh?
eh ... er ... ah bulb ... i just can't follow you there. the music is always "in the ears of the beholder" but that's one solid ass production.

drew, i agree ... that is the thing about the album ... it feels like 1 solid piece. i've hard several say "they got lazy", but to me it's the opposite ... to me it sounds like they've matured past the need for being overly changy and busy.

it was a change, people expected something else ... once you get over that ... the album rules in my book ... the best thing to come out in the past 2 years.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
i guess im the only one here who thought the prodcution was horrid on that album eh?

it looks it :yoda: lol I thought the production of it was great, i'd hate to have imagined how much it cost. I thought lateralus had great production too. But hey thats me. i think korns untouchables album is right up there when it comes to production :lol:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The Lateralus tracks are arranged and edited in such a way that if you go through some big convoluted process starting from when he sings "spiral in, spiral out" or whatever on one song you can graph out a pair of spirals that give "splice points" all over the album that, when correctly arranged, "complete" the album as one long, continuous track. Pretentious much?

Well, at least we know why Fieldy from Korn dropped the ckicky bass sound, Tool guy must have stolen all his gear:lol:

Bartok

Reaction score
So who tried the 10,000 Days 'playing the tracks together' thing then? I haven't put it together myself, just downloaded someone elses, it works to a point, then completely falls apart and the drums are all over the place + none of it works harmonically. I wasn't convinced.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Lateralus tracks are arranged and edited in such a way that if you go through some big convoluted process starting from when he sings "spiral in, spiral out" or whatever on one song you can graph out a pair of spirals that give "splice points" all over the album that, when correctly arranged, "complete" the album as one long, continuous track. Pretentious much?

Well, at least we know why Fieldy from Korn dropped the ckicky bass sound, Tool guy must have stolen all his gear:lol:

You've done a lot of research for someone who's clearly not a fan of Tool. It's not for everyone, but you don't need to sit there and bash it as "pretentious".

And actually Tool's never said anything about the Lateralus order thing, that's a creation of the fans, and it's a load of crap.

So who tried the 10,000 Days 'playing the tracks together' thing then? I haven't put it together myself, just downloaded someone elses, it works to a point, then completely falls apart and the drums are all over the place + none of it works harmonically. I wasn't convinced.

Never heard of that...link?

bulb

Reaction score
eh ... er ... ah bulb ... i just can't follow you there. the music is always "in the ears of the beholder" but that's one solid ass production.

i dunno man, cuz lateralus has amazing production. but the drums sound almost overdriven on this album, they arent clean at all, i was tempted to say that they might even be clipping, the toms especially. and on lateralus and aenima the sound was so clean and crisp.

then the guitar tone sounds so muddy to me, to find that they used 3-5 amps on every track to get that sound, makes me wonder if less isnt truly more in that case.

and the bass to me sounds like its unbalanced and cheap, i dont know, honestly when the tool album leaked, i honestly thought that it was a fake based off of the production (and after hearing the songs i was convinced haha), but i mean i have to admit this is the first group of people i have encountered who actively like the production
either way its not a big deal, just different strokes!

Reaction score
I think that the next Tool record, if there's gonna be one, should be one long song broken down into 10 sections, featuring guest performances from Meshuggah. And Adam Jones should pull off two solos (actual solos, not filler leads), placed strategically in track 4, and track 9.

Bartok

Reaction score
Never heard of that...link?

Search google for 10,000 days easter eggs or something like that. There's lots about it out there

EDIT: There are some file downloads available here, they don't always work but at least one of them should so keep trying.

Instructions are here (I think they're in the link above somewhere but I couldn't find them)

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
well that kinda explains alot. i mean, its typically tool and also, its a way to explain the immense fillers. im off remixing them asap, suddenly 10,000 days turned alot better! thanks man!

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've done a lot of research for someone who's clearly not a fan of Tool. It's not for everyone, but you don't need to sit there and bash it as "pretentious".

Haha, don't get me wrong, I'm all for pretense. I just think the cult of personality around every little thing Tool does is ridiculous and wish that people would stop telling each other that they're the most progressive, challenging, unique musical visionaries of all time for a few minutes and let people come to their own conclusions. For the record, I knew about the Lateralus spiral thing because a friend of mine asked me to work it out for him because he didn't know the math. I don't feel that knowing a lot about something I don't like in any way undermines my opinions. If anything, it gives me greater cause for thinking what I do; I'd rather an informed opinion than an uninformed one.

Honestly, Tool's music has its moments but they're really amount to less than the sum of their influences, both musically and image-wise. Oh well.

')