Recording Death Grind

Inthenameofgore

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has tips regarding how to record Death Metal/Death Grind Guitars. I'm going along the lines of Skinless (Forshadowing our Demise-era) and early Aborted. Using Reaper as my main recording program. Any tips regarding the subject help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

geoffshreds

Reaction score
what are you going to be using for guitar? micing a cab? vst's? digital interface?

Inthenameofgore

Reaction score
Right now I'm using VST's. Nick Crow 8505 and Poulin LeCab. (along with a high pass EQ filter and tube screamer) I have the option to mic a cab with an SM57, I'm just not really experienced and capable of getting the desired tone with it.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I don't really have experience with that but I'm going to guess scooped mids.

Inthenameofgore

Reaction score
I've been getting mixed responses about scooping the mids. There's a great amount of people saying do it, then there's a great amount of people saying don't. From what I know, Death grind is based with a lot of low end, and the mids seem to add to that well.

geoffshreds

Reaction score
its a matter of preference. im not big on the totally scooped mids, but if you are going for the skinless tone, scooped mids would work. all the low end they have is from a very present bass tone..especially on the album you mentioned

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
Tubescreamer, scooped mids and ridiculous amounts of gain will get you there. When you'll be mixing it you will have to be very careful with the low end, because you want a lot of it but at the same time you don't want it to be uncontrollable (a multiband compressor can come in handy)

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
At recording stage you just want to make sure to capture the best DI's possible, so you can reamp come mixing time and keep your options open.

Guitar and pickup choice, maintenance, intonation and fresh strings for each session are the most important things. Preperation and rehearsal to give tight tiakes in the minimal amount of time should also be considered.

Interface and recording quality comes next. You'll want to capture mono DI's at the best quality you can.

Once you have all that down you can then reamp with your amp/cab/mic and combine that with VST tones, if that's your thing, or send it out to be reamped professionally, perhaps having the whole mix done as well.

I think of Marshall JCM800's when I think of thrash amps.

raybrochill

Reaction score
I really like the classic solo c > 8505 > s-highpres combo. I've always dug 8505 with everything at rough noon with as little gain as you feel you can get away with. what you really need to watch out for is the 2k to 6k area as that will really fuck with the clarity of your mix. I'm damn near always cutting out nastiness there.

')