Recording guitars with two guitar players, what's the best solution?

• Thread starter Methilde
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I think it'd give a cool effect if you both did rhythm, but you both double track. Say, you panned 100-100, and he 80-80. Just straight up you 100 left and him 100 right or visa versa may sound cool. I'm not familiar with your bands music, so I can't say for sure ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drow Swordsman

Reaction score
Considering one of you plays a seven and the other a six, I think it'd sound very off balanced having a lower end completely on one side. I would either track 7's on both sides and have leads in the center, or maybe if you can pull this off, quad track the two rhythm guitars. Either way, personally I'd steer away from having a 7 on one side and a 6 on the other, and I'd always steer away from having a "live sound".

I've owned a few live Iron Maiden albums, but would NEVER buy a live album from any sort of heavy band nowadays. I go to a live show for the atmosphere, but in a studio recording you need the songs themselves to create the atmosphere in combination with the production. You're going to get a mediocre sounding metal demo if you go for the "live sound" in an EP (imo).

Though as Mattayus said, I'm pretty sure a lot of bands use different amp setups/different guitarists for tracks, though I'm sure there are also plenty where one guitarist does all of the rhythm tracks. I know Alex from Whitechapel posts on here, I'd be interested to know how they tracked things for each album.

Slampop

Artist/Producer: IDOLER
Reaction score
i didn't read all the responses on here, but i will say this. double track all your rhythm parts yourself nice and tight, and slam them left and right, keeps the sound consistent and solid. then have him record his leads and put them into the middle of the mix spread how you like, and because they are from a different guitar/pickups, it will more than likely make the leads stand out better over the solid rhythm foundation you had laid out for the mix. just my :2c:

Methilde

Derp.
Reaction score
Thanks Slampop, I like that reaction ;)
We just talked it over a bit and he's going to downtune one of his guitars to B and then we'll figure it out with the panning and who-plays-what ;)

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the different tones hard panned but that's just me. :shrug:
And I'm fine with stuff dropping out for solos-I actually wished more people did this, honestly.

')