Recording help!

Reaction score
alright so i'm looking to be able to record some stuff for my band and i really need help on where to start. as far as programs go i have sonar X1 producer edition and guitar rig 4 (which for some reason does not have a bass amp -.-). i have no interfaces and i'm looking for something that wont cost an arm and a leg. and for speakers i have m audio studiophile AV30 speakers. and i'm running windows 7 64 bit on my dell inspiron 1750. any help would be GREATLY appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_95

Reaction score
^^^^

How many members in your band? what instruments etc.
You could record track by track and get a small, affordable interface, like an m-audio fastrack, or get something bigger like a tascam us-800 for a slightly higher price.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
^^^^

How many members in your band? what instruments etc.
You could record track by track and get a small, affordable interface, like an m-audio fastrack, or get something bigger like a tascam us-800 for a slightly higher price.
i have a fast track works fine... BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE PHANTOM POWER.... so you need to either buy a small mixer for your mic then out to fast track. or get the fast track PRO. personally my next one will be the mobile-pre probably the pre and fast track pro have phantom power the "fast track" doesnt. WHY EVEN HAVE AN XLR INPUT WITHOUT PHANTOM POWER M-AUDIO??!!!:wallbash:

edit: the mobile pre has a higher frequency sampling/recording range i believe too i think fast track about 44.1 and i wanna say pre is 96hz dont quote me but the pre would be good IMO and the fast track only works with mpowered pro tools(older) pre works with avid pro tools

daniel_95

Reaction score
Phantom power might not be an issue. how are you planning to record your band? what gear do you have like microphones etc.

Some microphones, like condensers require phantom power, whereas others do not.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
Phantom power might not be an issue. how are you planning to record your band? what gear do you have like microphones etc.

Some microphones, like condensers require phantom power, whereas others do not.
right. but dont drumset mics need phantom power? and most vocal mics?

asilayamazing

Reaction score
i correct myself the new fast track has phantom power the older models do not.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
A couple of things...

Condenser Microphones need phantom power.

Dynamic Microphones NEVER need phantom power.

Ribbon microphones should not have phantom power.

Also, Tascam is a BIG no no...

They are crap.

Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap!

daniel_95

Reaction score
A couple of things...

Condenser Microphones need phantom power.

Dynamic Microphones NEVER need phantom power.

Ribbon microphones should not have phantom power.

Also, Tascam is a BIG no no...

They are crap.

Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap!

My US-800 is amazing, that, along with an m-audio firewire solo records 8 tracks at once :hbang:, it suits my bands needs perfectly.

It's yet to fail/break on me.
That's my 2cents anyway.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Right. :yesway:

What interface are you using?

Started with a POS Tapco Link.USB years ago that I had for a while for recording rough demos.

Then got a Tascam POS for about 1 month before I sold it.

Bought a Presonus Firestudio 2626 that worked mostly for about 18 months then gradually had more and more issues.

Bought an RME Fireface UFX just after the first shipment arrived in Australia, haven't had a single issue, disconnect, freeze, need to restart computer or device, pop, click, latency etc etc issue since

daniel_95

Reaction score
RME Fireface UFX?

Being in high school, I cannot afford something like that.
That's why I settled for the tascam us-800, fortunately for me I haven't encountered a single issue with it yet.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
RME Fireface UFX?

Being in high school, I cannot afford something like that.
That's why I settled for the tascam us-800, fortunately for me I haven't encountered a single issue with it yet.

That's cool man, just giving your prior warning.

')