Recording Issue

• Thread starter DBDbadreligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
ok, i am using a fostex MR-8HD stand alone recording unit.
im am using it to record me(guitar) and my bro(bass).
we are both micing our amps. w/ Shure mics.
here's the issue, no matter what we do the walls of our basement
shake from my bros bass and the mics somehow pic there noise up.
which in return makes the bass sound horrible on recordings.
what can we do, should we maybe turn down his volume?
i dont know what to do, but it just makes my recordings sound shitty and
it's starting to agrivate me.

can someone please help?

thanks,

nick

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Get hold of a more directional mic (such as the SM-57...though I'm not sure how well that would fare for a bass amp) or isolate the cabinet.

When I was sitting in on some recording sessions last year, to get max volume from the guitarists amps without bothering the neighbours too much (and picking up the room shaking), we encased the amps inside a cluttered mess of lounges and pillows. It worked :)

SILENT FACTOR

7's are Metal!
Contributor
Reaction score
Try going direct through the line out on his amp. This will give you more flexibility with the sound of the bass on the recording. IMO the bass has a better low end when going line out from the amp. Then just use a mic for you amp but keep that setup away from the part of the basement that's rattling.

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
SILENT FACTOR said:
Try going direct through the line out on his amp. This will give you more flexibility with the sound of the bass on the recording. IMO the bass has a better low end when going line out from the amp. Then just use a mic for you amp but keep that setup away from the part of the basement that's rattling.
yeah the only downside of using the line out is that he will lose his speakers tone, and only hear the preamp.

')