Recording Metal Tone, how do you do it?

• Thread starter downtuned
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

downtuned

Reaction score
hey guys,

I was wondering what setup you all use for recording metal? do you use direct in or Mic it up with your amp? What DAW do you use. What cab sims (preferrably free ones) do you use? Any advice for recording newb??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sear

Reaction score
I usually mic up my amp, but if I'm lazy I use direct-in. Direct-in guitars always have a digital fizzy high-end and "farty" low end that sounds very fake to me, and even with good impulses they tend to sound too "clean" and manicured, without the same kinds of noise and imperfections you get out of a real amp. However you can't beat their versatility.

evan9198

Reaction score
I just use an SM57 to mic my amp and the Scarlett 2i2 interface. I record into Reaper (works really well and can't beat the price). I never really had a need for cab sims so I don't really know much about which ones are good.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Lecab is a favorite amongst many for loading impulses (cab sims)

Here are a few popular impulses people use.

ASEM RECTO V30 L2
orange_2_mics
s-preshigh

Here are a few Ampsims

Lecto
X50
X30

Searching those keywords will lead you to many others.

downtuned

Reaction score
thanks for the input! my singer said i should try amplitube 3 for the specific tone I am wanting. He says theres a good 5150 sim and the boss hm-2 tone im looking for.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Why do that when you can get better ones for FREE!

X50 is 5150 amp sim...use that if you want a 5150 sound.

The Boss HM-2 is a pedal (sounds like bees) from the 80's hair metal days. That's not even and ampsim or an amp. I don't know if I would be asking a singer about guitar tones anyway.

sear

Reaction score
The Boss HM-2 is a pedal (sounds like bees) from the 80's hair metal days. That's not even and ampsim or an amp. I don't know if I would be asking a singer about guitar tones anyway.
The Boss HM-2 is a cornerstone of old-school Swedish death metal tone and sounds amazing. Don't make me slap you with Entombed.

aturaya

Reaction score
I usually don't use impulses, I just process POD Farm to hell. But when I wasn't too lazy to find impulses that worked for my tones I went through tons of combinations of Catharsis, Gods Cab, GuitarHacks, Kalthallen (most real sounding to me), and Sperimental pack impulses. Just google them. Mix and match them.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
My typical signal chain is DI -> compressor (Waves CLA-2A) -> Tubescreamer (TSE808) -> EQ (Waves Q2)-> ampsim (LePou Legion or TSE x50, it varies) -> impulse (Catharsis) -> noise gate (Cubase native).

The compressor and the EQ aren't free, but there are plenty of free compressors and EQs out there that work just as well. Everything else is totally free, save for the noise gate which is built into Cubase.

Ratel

Sgt Camper
Reaction score
di -> tubescreamer -> ampsim -> impulse loader -> tape saturation -> eq

i don't use noisegates, i mute silences by hand. my favorite ampsims are TSE X50, Lecto, Le456 and Hybrit.

')