Recording question

• Thread starter Vangoatguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
So I've decided that I want my recordings quality to be a little more professional-ish so I've got a few questions.

For tones Im going Guitar > Floor Pod Plus > line in on Macbook > Logic Pro 8

I know that getting an audio interface would help greatly, but I'm not really sure what to look for in an audio interface. For now I wont be recording drums so 2 channels is more than plenty. My floor pod has midi in and out as well as the normal 1/4" outputs. Would getting an interface that I'd connect through midi cables be best? or would one with normal 1/4" inputs work better? Also, does what I plug the interface into (Firewire or USB) change the quality of the recordings? and which one is cheapest? Basically I'm looking for a very cheap (trying to stay under 100$) audio interface to do some basic demo recordings.

any input is appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SweepsAllDay

Bow to Keyboard Cat.
Reaction score
As far as Firewire or USB, there is no quality difference, just latency. Firewire is about a million times faster than USB, and always a better choice for recording. And since you're on a mac, you probably already have an input for it.

As far as audio interfaces, I have used an EMU-0404 for a while, which I think is around 200 dollars, and supposedly the best mic preamps in that pricerange. Lately it sits on the floor unplugged, and I just run through a POD-GX, and actually have much better results (with guitar tone). The only reason I ever use the EMU now is for vocals. So I can't help much there heh.

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
I use the Presonus FireStudio Tube via firewire into my mac thru Logic 8 and I love it. I really didn't think I needed all these inputs either ,but in the end it's not how many channels you use its the quality of the preamp/channels and the control over your input and output.

Th3 Beyond

Reaction score
I just bought a maudio SOLO interface at guitar center for 199, its very nice. I was using my podxt before... wipes that thing off the map as far as quality.

')