Recording/Studio Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread - Megathread

• Thread starter ThePIGI King
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Lastly ignore what the Internet tells you (Including me) and spend less time on the Interwebs and get recording.
But what about the new game changer, next generation, industry standard, world class, professional grade, hit maker plugin that you NEED to have?! Plugin makers wouldn't lie to me, would they?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best advice I can give is Record, Record and Record some more. Equipment is just a by product to make you spend more money. Sure it's nice to have but once you get things sounding the way you want you are there. Great recordings have been done on 4 track cassette machines. Also performance is more important. I have heard tracks done in hotel room bathrooms that are mind blowing. We are taught, trained and raised to be consumers and CONSUME... Focus on doing and get equipment as your needs dictate, don't let the equipment dictate your needs. PM me if you like. Just stop worrying about the superfluous and get recording. Lastly ignore what the Internet tells you (Including me) and spend less time on the Interwebs and get recording. All IMHO of course.
Thanks for the insight! I would love to get to recording! I'm actually going to purchase the Reaper license and GGD Invasion this week to get to learning the drum programming process. I've got everything written and ready to go.

I have no idea what I'm doing, especially with the plugins and mixing/mastering, but I've got time to research it all before I get there. I'm not even sure what plugins or anything I even need to produce a good final product lol

ibenhad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I would love to get to recording! I'm actually going to purchase the Reaper license and GGD Invasion this week to get to learning the drum programming process. I've got everything written and ready to go.

I have no idea what I'm doing, especially with the plugins and mixing/mastering, but I've got time to research it all before I get there. I'm not even sure what plugins or anything I even need to produce a good final product lol
That's the point. Your putting the horse before the cart. Just record and get it tracked and then worry about the next step. Worry about mixing/mastering once you have the tracks down. Get good takes to whatever your medium is and then you go to the next step. Learn "space" and letting instruments breath and not step on each other. You won't turn into an engineer over night but the more you learn your craft the better you will become. Hell you may find you want to concentrate/focus on getting rough demos down and then take it all to a real studio and let someone else track, mix and then send off for mastering.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on fabfilter stuff?
They're the industry standard for ease of use, precision, and options. Lots of people think other stuff sounds better, or at least different things sound better for particular uses, but if you need to make precise moves fabfilter is the way to go (if you can afford it).