Recording test clips of pickups, blackout vs full shred

MrRedRaider

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just sold my set of blackouts (7 string version) and thought I would record a clip to have for future comparisons. I also wanted to compare it directly to a full shred with an alnico 8 magnet thats currently in my Jackson SLSMG. The pickup to replace the blackouts will be a BKP Painkiller with an alnico 8 magnet, 7 string. I love the sound of A8s. I will record another clip when it arrives. So, here are the two clips I recorded (320kbps mp3's)-

test1.mp3
test2.mp3

Will keep them anonymous for now, post your guesses!

Recorded with line6 junk, with this patch- Meshuggah1.l6t

Was trying to make a patch for their tone, thats what I came up with and decided to use it. Must have the Metal Shop pack. It seems to really accentuate the low end, and its easier to hear how tight a pickup is and its high end qualities. I can record with diff. patches, etc if you guys want, but I wont be able to record with the blackouts because they are coming out very soon for shipping.

Gear details:

Line6 Guitarport using Gearbox, recorded with Nuendo, no processing from Nuendo at all.

Fernandes Revolver Pro 7, set of blackouts in respective positions. Rosewood board/maple neck, alder body, floyd rose.

Jackson SLSMG with two Seymour Duncan Full Shreds, with an alnico 8 in the bridge pickup. Mahogany neck-thru, ebony board, tonepros bridge.

Both guitars are setup with D'Addario 10-52's, with a low .060 for the Bb. The Jackson obviously does not use the high Bb .010 string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Imperium

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with

Test 1 = Balckouts

Test 2 = Full shred

I based my decision on thinking the Alder guitar will be brighter and the Mahogany will be slightly warmer?

Regardless i thought they both sounded good. :yesway:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea what either of these pups are supposed to sound like, but I'm going to say that the first one is the Jackson simply by virtue of the wood composition. On the other hand, the first one definitely has what I consider the "active" sound.

We'll see how undeveloped my ear is in a bit -_-

The first one definitely sounds better overall, though.

Latest posts