Recording through the FX-send of an amp = low output ?

mindwalker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've finally received my RME Babyface and promptly jumped into trying to record my Blackstar HT-5R via the FX-send (I know the amp has a simulated headphones out but I wanted to try using impulses on the unfiltered signal). So I connected an instrument<->XLR from the FX-send to the analog XLR input of the Babyface. :hbang:

The first thing that struck me was how low the output volume of the FX-send is! The fx-loop has a -10 / +4 db switch and even if I set it to +4 db I get a really weak signal. I need to turn up the volume on the amp's channel way up (there is no master volume here). So I kinda turn it up half-way to avoid overcooking the amp (if that ever happens.. don't feel good about having the volume set to max).

Then on the Babyface I'm forced to raise the gain on the analog input by some good 10-20db.

Further on when applying the impulse on the DAW I have to again turn up the output volume of the Wet processed impulse response quite a bit (another 10 db or so) to have the amp's fx-send+impulse sound as loud as complete mastered songs so that I can play along to them.

Have you guys experienced this kind of behaviour ? And if indeed you really have to pump up the gain over the FX-send, where is the best place to do it ? Scatter the gain stages around the chain or do it all prior to applying the impulse ? I still have to test a bit more (only played with it for a couple of hours) but I suppose that as long as the noise isn't heard on the clean channel, then any noise that's heard on the distortion channel doesn't come from interference in the chain but it's rather the actual amp in which case I need perhaps a noise gate ?

On a brighter note.. it did sound better in any case than the simulated headphones out of the amp :)

I've tried the Torpedo PI-101 free with both the cabinet and power amp sim activated. I've used alternatively LA Convolver with some RedWirez impulses. The LA Convolver sounded fuller but the Torpedo can get there with its post-EQ section and is generally a bit more flexible and user friendly. But still can't pick one.. need to test more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

exclamation-mark

Reaction score
Depending on the effects loop it can located either pre master volume or post master volume. Most come after the master volume. However in the case of the blackstar, it comes before the master volume, so only the gain level affects the signal through the effects loop (and the clean channel stays the same no matter what). The effects loop is padded to line level, so most audio interfaces should be able to be driven to clipping, but you have to have a decent amount of gain.

I'm not really too worried about SNR or noise, so I just crank the gain in my impulse loader instead. Generally with cascaded gain stages you want to maximize gain at the first stage to get maximum SNR rather than distribute it amongst things. I'm not really sure if it matters that much in this case, where the predominant form of noise is actually from the amplifier itself.

mindwalker

Reaction score
That's a pretty good insight on how the HT-5 works! That covers it up for me! Thanks a lot :)

')