Recording with a DIY Isolation Box (+how to build it) VIDEO

georg_f

Reaction score
check it out:

Direct link: YouTube - Recording guitars with a DIY Isolation Cabinet (+ how to build one)

This is me explaning how to build and how to record with an isolation box.
I built it in fall 2007 and I'll soon have to move it elsewhere, so I thought I'll film this tutorial.

Here are some songs that I recorded with the isolation box. Click those if you want the hear how it sounds within a full production context.

E.g. this one: Adagio for strings (with clean & mellow sounds):
YouTube - Adagio For Strings - "Bridge of Sighs"-style (abridged)

Purple Organ (70s style rock song)
YouTube - Georg F - Purple Organ

Riverdance theme (beginning is with clean sounds, later on there is a fully cranked, Plexi-Esque Amp lead sound)
YouTube - Riverdance Theme on guitar
etc.

feel free to ask questions etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Well done! I wish a 4x12 iso box was a feasible idea haha

Just make it twice as tall :fawk:

But it's kind of irrelevant. a 4x12 gets more throw and power... which when you're close micing it in a box doesn't matter.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Just make it twice as tall :fawk:

But it's kind of irrelevant. a 4x12 gets more throw and power... which when you're close micing it in a box doesn't matter.

Haha, and take up so much room! I agree on the latter part, other than the sonic differences because of the size of the cab and it's resonance and blah blah blah. Ola gets stupid good metuhlz out of his roadster 2x12, and I rock out my g-flex 2x12, so I got love for 2x12s. And they fit in my car.

georg_f

Reaction score
^^exactly
you could also use a 1x12.
But I wanted to have that Mesa Roadking 2x12 in there because it has an open and a closed back side.
However, I endet up using the closed back side for the most part (also for clean sounds).

')