Rectifier vs 6505+

• Thread starter Vstro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vstro

Reaction score
So i have been planning on getting a 6505+ but over the past few days I have played with bands that have amazing sounding rectifiers. Does anyone here have a Rectifier? If so what kind of cabs are you using and what kind of tone are you getting. Right now i have Vaders but I've never heard anyone play a Rectifier through them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drenzium

Reaction score
they are both totally different beasts imho. either one with a good boost pedal would slay, but it really depends on what you want tonally, what bands do you dig?

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
they're both excellent amps. The 6505 is waay easier to dial in, whereas a recto requieres more experience. They both sound great live as well as recorded. It really boils down to personal taste.

In europe a 6505 is less than half the price of a recto, though. Also, the 6505 will sound better at non-deafening volumes, imo.

If i had to choose, i'd get a recto though.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
to my ears nothing has ever beaten my bias modded 5150mk1, they're just my perfect amp. I love everything about it, the recto is a totally different beast however, fundamentally different tone, yes they are both high gain amps and yes they are both excellent at what they do but this is like comparing apples and oranges.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I'd also go for a rectifier. I think it should sound killer through your Vader! :yesway:

vontetzianos

Reaction score
The 6505 is definitely easier to dial in, but I would still go with the recto. After you have spent enough time with the amp, found the sweet spot in the eq, maybe change the stock tubes and hit a TS in front, it can sound devestating. Not that the 6505 doesn't, mind you.

Shaman

Reaction score
A Recto without a doubt.

I do like the 6505 and the 6505+, but I just like the Mesa more. Plus, the Mesa is a lot more versatile. (if we are talking about the 3channel Recto's)

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
standing in front of a well-dialed-in Triple Rec + Recto cab is like no other experience I have ever had... I wubbed it! :wub:

:agreed:

i like'em even better through orange cabs. and for some reason they even sound stellar through 1960 marshall cabs.

Reaction score
I've had the 6505 for a while.. but yet i've been yearning for a Dual Rectifier the entire time :(

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
I've heard really great sounding rectos...but haven't got one to sound that way for me yet.

I have a 6505+ and it sounded great out the box. Only thing I would consider is getting the regular 6505 or original 5150 instead as the gain is said to be a bit more "brutal" due to simpler signal chain. If you like a more tame yet still high gain amp the 5150II/6505+ is nice. I like it because I don't play full tilt metal all the time and it's a bit more versatile than it gets credit for.

Only thing I can think the amp needs is a boost(so as not to have to crank it and cause unnecessary noise) and a bias mod to allow the tubes to perform at their peak.

I'd choose the Peavey. :yesway::agreed:

EDIT: I see from your gear details page you already own a 5150. What are you looking to get out of the 6505+ that isn't already available to you with the 5150? Unless it's an added medium gain channel you're looking for it's not much different. Have you tried any tube changes(different 6L6s, 6L6/6550 quads) or considered a bias mod before trying a different amp? If you're looking at this as more of an upgrade then the difference is negligeble and your purchase redundant. The kicker is you're going to wind up with less gain on tap as well. Peavey +Vader combo is how God intended it to be, but if youre looking for a new voice you're more apt to be inspired by the Mesa.

I change my position. In this case I would suggest the MESA just on the basis that you may actually be inspired by a different tone.

Reaction score
So i have been planning on getting a 6505+ but over the past few days I have played with bands that have amazing sounding rectifiers. Does anyone here have a Rectifier? If so what kind of cabs are you using and what kind of tone are you getting. Right now i have Vaders but I've never heard anyone play a Rectifier through them.

A lot of the bands I've seen use Vaders also use dual recs. A couple for example are Maruta and Pig Destroyer.

You could also youtube search for mesa and vader; it'll probably return a few results.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
It is true, the 6505 is a SHIT TONS easier to dial in and go! I have a Mesa Roadster... and getting some great clean sounds... but tend to want to get a better sound in the high gain stage...

The thing that put me off of the 6505 is the lack of Bass or bottom end... But that could be because it was running under a crappy peavy cab

defchime

Reaction score
dont get the 6505, get the mesa...the 6505 is being used by waay to many bands, there sound makes metal reek of peavey.

I recomend madison (as always LOL)

Vstro

Reaction score
Yeah i already have the 5150 but i want to keep that head just as a backup. I know that for the most part the 5150 and 6505+ are the same tone. It sounds really good i just would like to explore into some other tones. I think I'm going to try for a rectifier though. What do you guys think about the old vs the new. A lot of the people I've been talking to are telling me the 90's rectifiers are the only way to go.

they are both totally different beasts imho. either one with a good boost pedal would slay, but it really depends on what you want tonally, what bands do you dig?

I've been liking the tone on Architects new cd "Hollow Crown". Whitechapel has always had good tone in my opinion but i know their using the 5150 III.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know Justin from After The Burial prefers the older Dual Rectifiers.

BTW, Vince, you guys are fucking killer. :metal:

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Peaveys are tighter and have way more punch and definition. Set the lead channel's presence on 9.5 and the gain on 3.5 and you have the tightest punchiest sound that can be had for under $3,000. Rectifiers' gain channels are like a clean channel over driven whereas the Peavey circuit is very refined. The controls on the rectifier respond like the tone controls on a guitar (this diminishes the shaping power of the controls to an extent of ineffectiveness) while the controls on the peavey respond like an eq. The tone cotrols on the rectfier are all interactive to each other meaning that how one is turned affects the others. The controls on the Peavey all work independantly and are powerful.

Transformers are very important. The size of the ones in the Peavey are substantially larger, I'm not postive if size matters, but it sounds like it does from hearing the two amps. The Peavey seems to go into way lower frequencies and reproduce them in any abundance you could ever want. The mesa seems to miss the mark with flubby bass and harsh highs and an overall loose and weak sound.

The peavey has far more clean headroom than a mesa. A mesa will go really loud but will not sound good at high volumes.

I used Mesas for years and was never happy with my tone the whole time but wasn't sure what to do. I borrowed a 6505+ for a month and was blown away every time I played it. I sold the stiletto I was using to get the peavey. There is still a rectifier here collecting dust.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
try a DR with an EVH 5150 III 4x12 cab, you will be jerking blood cum everywhere in seconds

\m/

i'd really like to mix the new 5150 III head with my DR see what kinda brutal blends i could get

Vstro

Reaction score
I know Justin from After The Burial prefers the older Dual Rectifiers.

BTW, Vince, you guys are fucking killer. :metal:

Thanks man glade you enjoy the music.

Peaveys are tighter and have way more punch and definition. Set the lead channel's presence on 9.5 and the gain on 3.5 and you have the tightest punchiest sound that can be had for under $3,000. Rectifiers' gain channels are like a clean channel over driven whereas the Peavey circuit is very refined. The controls on the rectifier respond like the tone controls on a guitar (this diminishes the shaping power of the controls to an extent of ineffectiveness) while the controls on the peavey respond like an eq. The tone cotrols on the rectfier are all interactive to each other meaning that how one is turned affects the others. The controls on the Peavey all work independantly and are powerful.

Transformers are very important. The size of the ones in the Peavey are substantially larger, I'm not postive if size matters, but it sounds like it does from hearing the two amps. The Peavey seems to go into way lower frequencies and reproduce them in any abundance you could ever want. The mesa seems to miss the mark with flubby bass and harsh highs and an overall loose and weak sound.

The peavey has far more clean headroom than a mesa. A mesa will go really loud but will not sound good at high volumes.

I used Mesas for years and was never happy with my tone the whole time but wasn't sure what to do. I borrowed a 6505+ for a month and was blown away every time I played it. I sold the stiletto I was using to get the peavey. There is still a rectifier here collecting dust.

I see what you're saying but over the past few days I've heard some amazing sounding rectifiers. I'm going to try the those gain and presence settings tonight though.

')