Recto cab: Standard vs Traditionnal

• Thread starter Exhale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Mesa cab is the best?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
I personally prefer the traditional by far. It's much tighter and more defined.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually prefer the traditional, but the low-B sounds so right through the standard. It just gives it that massiveness it needs.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Standard, with 2 90s and 2 V30s in an "X".

Exhale

Uber Carvinator!
Reaction score
Hell yeah :hbang: Got the standard and it has that authoritative physical bass thump below the belt thats just awesome for my seven. Its not that muddy bass that come out whn you crank the bass knob way up. Its more of a resonnance thing, kind of physical. The kind of a ''prensence'' bass if I can say so. Anyways, if youre still wondering, go for the STD if its what you want you wont be dissapointed.

Rock on !

Ex.

PRSKILLER

the Surfer
Reaction score
I haven`t heard the standard cab but I`m really digging my traditional cab loaded with V30s on top and Black Shadow C90s on the bottom. Talk about tight:shred:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Prskiller, can I ask ya something? I've been interested in do this same speaker setup since so far it seems everyone favors the C90's mixed in an X pattern with V30's. You say yours is not X pattern? Either way, my question is do the speakers blend in with each other smoothly or can you hear a tonal change when you move position around the amp. Like are there any times you can hear more of the V30's over the C90's or vice versa?

Rev.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're right up against it, you cna hear the speaker differences. With them in the "X", by the time you're two feet away, they're blending...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
If you're right up against it, you cna hear the speaker differences. With them in the "X", by the time you're two feet away, they're blending...

:agreed:

Not to mention, they blend somewhat inside of the enclosure (if you mic one of them, you mainly get that speaker's tone, along with some of the character of the other type). I'd have to say the C90's will be more dominant, since they make more power, although (currently) the attack is coming from the V30's. Brand new Celestions are razor sharp sounding until you break 'em in!

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
Noodles - I've never been able to find out, what's the sensitivity on the c-90s? The sensitivity will determine how loud the speaker is given the same input. So if the v-30s have a higher sensitivity than the c-90s, you'd actually hear more of the 30, even though the 90s can take more wattage. However, I've never seen published specs on the c-90s.

When running a c-90 4x12 and a v-30 4x12 they seem like they're the same volume, but I've never measured. I do know that they sound great together, but I'm curious as to the specs...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Matt Crooks said:
Noodles - I've never been able to find out, what's the sensitivity on the c-90s? The sensitivity will determine how loud the speaker is given the same input. So if the v-30s have a higher sensitivity than the c-90s, you'd actually hear more of the 30, even though the 90s can take more wattage. However, I've never seen published specs on the c-90s.

Now that it's been a few months, the cab has settled down considerably. It doesn't have that harsh attack anymore. Are you moved yet? We'll have to get together sometime so you can hear the thing cranked. It sounds a lot like the RK cab, but with more punch (fully closed back).

Still not sure about the sensativity, but it sounds different from the two 2x12's that I used to own with the same speakers. It definately has more of the character of the one you sold me (with the C90s).

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Now that it's been a few months, the cab has settled down considerably. It doesn't have that harsh attack anymore. Are you moved yet? We'll have to get together sometime so you can hear the thing cranked. It sounds a lot like the RK cab, but with more punch (fully closed back).
Still not sure about the sensativity, but it sounds different from the two 2x12's that I used to own with the same speakers. It definately has more of the character of the one you sold me (with the C90s).

Not moved yet.... another 5-7 weeks... then I have to move since someone will be moving into my current house.

Once I get in a settled we'll do a amp/cab/guitar shootout. Maybe we'll try to record it to to listen back to the differences? Regardless, we'll drink beer. :drew:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Matt Crooks said:
Once I get in a settled we'll do a amp/cab/guitar shootout. Maybe we'll try to record it to to listen back to the differences? Regardless, we'll drink beer. :drew:

Abso-fucking-lutely. I'll bring the D-28, too, since you have to hear how good it sounds. Since the D-28 was designed with a pronounced bass response in mind, it sounds other-worldly good dropped to B-standard. No guitar sounds quite like a Martin, although I think the 25.1" scale has a lot to do with that.

')