Rectoverb 50 watt Combo

• Thread starter wavez1392
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wavez1392

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a couple of questions regarding my Recto-verb Combo. I really dig the amp, but event though its a loud 50 watt 1x12 speaker, I need more power to play with my drummer and my band all together. I was wondering if it was worth it down the road to possible get a cab for the amp and stack it (lol). Secondly, for people who know more about the tubes then I do, does anyone think its worth switching the 6L6's for EL34's. And if so, whats the difference? If both of these questions could be answered I would much appreciate it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wavez1392

Reaction score
Just did some more research and I've read the pre amp tubes are something I also need to consider. I am really striving for having a strong higher gain/sustain mid range tone with some tight bass. I saw in the other threads the JJ high gain preamp tubes from Euro tubes is something I should possibly consider. Kinda looking to revamp this whole amp the more I lurk on some of the other tube related threads...

wavez1392

Reaction score
I think my questions are too broads besides the one relating to getting a cab. Im just going to call Eurotubes and figure this out on my own.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Wow lots of stuff's happened in this thread any nobody else has even posted yet, lol.

The easiest way to make an amp louder is to add speakers, you may find trading your combo for a head and buying a cab is a good idea, but even sticking it on top of another 112 will double the volume you're putting out.

Tubes make a difference but it won't have the difference you want because the EQ stage is post gain stage and all the tone shaping circuitry you'd need to change is fixed into the amp. The way most people get what you want is boosting with a Tubescreamer, because it cuts bass (making it tighter) and boosts upper mid and high end giving the amp a faster, more aggressive attack.

As for EL34's, 6L6's are a little more scooped, darker and more glassy sounding, EL's add mids, suck bass and are a little more fluid. I'd suggest sticking to 6L6's in a Recto if you want to tighten it up because the low end doesn't break up so easily in 6L6's and you only have 50W of headroom.

')